Anandtech Review is up for iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koyoot, Nov 2, 2015.

1. I7guy macrumors G5

2. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Nice. It is surprising iOS does so poorly on Physics still. I wonder why that is.

4. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I'm fascinated by leveraging SLC for cache and TLC for storage otherwise.

Pretty cool!

I did a Phone Doctor Plus storage speed test the other day, was getting like 300MB/s write and 1100, yes 1100, MB/s read.

Faster than my rMB on the read side :)

and compute too, supposedly.

Mind numbing how good under the hood specs have gotten

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Its not iOS, physics really benefit from more cores, thats why Apple chips underperform in that area.

6. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Ah thanks for letting me know! I've been refreshing their home page daily. I sure miss that Brian Klugg guy. It was so interesting to read. He went into insane amount of detail and depth. After he anand left it just hasn't been the same or as good. Still the best reviews out there though don't get me wrong! Just not as amazing as it once was.

7. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I found this part of the review great to read since a large part of what I do with my iPhone is web browse. I've noticed the increase in overall performance as well as compared to my old 6 Plus. :)

"Overall, the Apple A9 SoC is the best SoC in any phone shipping today. In cases like web browsing, gaming, and even just going through the UI it’s quite evident that this new SoC is a major factor in improving performance and smoothness across the board. Something as simple as visiting some popular tech websites will show this, which really goes to show how much “specs” still matter due to their influence on user experience."

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

9. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

Yes, I wanted to emphasize the graphical performance in iP6S.

I think, I might go in the near future for 6S 64GB Space Grey model...

10. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Would've been better if they complement it with real world performance with apps such as Chess nodes per second, how long it takes to compress/decompress archives with RAR/7Zip, fps in a real game or benchmark based on a real game engine like Unity, etc. because I feel synthetic benchmarks are a scam. For example, Safari scrolling performance has never matched synthetic benchmark results and there's the issue of stability.

11. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Interesting review, I almost feel sorry for the Android heads exploding in the comments section..but not really :)
    IMO give credit where credit is due, whether Apple or Droid device in such shootouts.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

It really boggled my mind when some reviews said that the speed difference from a 6 Plus to a 6s Plus was barely anything. I find the difference to still be completely staggering. If you love a 60fps user interface at basically all times, the 6s Plus (and 6s) is the phone for you.

Also, Horizon Chase runs at 60fps constant now, whereas before on the 6 Plus it would have bouts of slowdown. That game is so awesome on the 6s line!

13. I7guy macrumors G5

The bolded. Specs for bragging rights is not very useful. Hardware and software that work together that is designed to influence the user experience is something to brag about.

14. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

15. I7guy macrumors G5

While i agree with some of the posts/comments in that review, such as "not best for me", Apple produced an extremely competitive device. It's tough to disputes that, actually since using iPhones from the 4, this was the biggest hardware bump and totally understated.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yes, that video has been posted in a few places. iOS 9.2 fixes completely the multitasking issues, and 99% of the 3D Touch issues. This we KNOW is a software bug. 9.1 behaves poorly on my iPad Air 2 in terms of the animation transitions and then 9.2 fixed it.

17. WilliamG, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

WilliamG macrumors 604

There's no question this is the biggest bump in power and usability. Aside from CPU and GPU power, going to 2GB RAM means it's the biggest RAM jump in iPhones history. Previously it was only a 512MB jump from 512MB to 1024MB. Going from 1024MB to 2048MB has been exceptionally meaningful (and should have happened last year, of course - but then the 6s would have looked less impressive).

It makes me laugh when I think about those who said the Safari tab reload issue was nothing to do with RAM and just needing an update etc. WHAT SAY YOU NOW? :)

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair, while the RAM update is overdue and is definitely beneficial, many of those with older hardware (and thus without any RAM increase) have a much better and more stable experience with Safari in iOS 9 compared to iOS 8.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

ah, everything else is beast but that. just seemed odd is all.

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

iOS 9 made no difference in terms of tab reloading on my 6 Plus. Safari doesn't crash as much, though, yes - compared to iOS 8.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Crikey, what a War and Peace review. Comprehensive doesn't begin to cover it.

22. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

The best review by far. Apple has really done a great job improving performance in every area. The SSD like performance of the NAND was a complete surprise.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've always enjoyed their reviews for this very reason.

24. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

And as always comments section is full of salty Samsung fanboys. Apparently any positive review when it comes to any Apple product is 'paid off'