Anandtech reviews Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DarwinOSX, Sep 23, 2011.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Yeah saw this today - really impressed by the review. Picking my Thunderbolt Display up next week!

2. DarwinOSX thread starter macrumors 65816

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I'd buy it today if it had USB 3, since current macs do not. I'm not going to spend $1075 on a display that will be outdated USB wise in a year or 2.

I understand apple not wanting to put USB 3 on it, which might have some people holding off Mac purchases, but really, how much could it cost in a $999 without tax display? $20?

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

5. DarwinOSX thread starter macrumors 65816

USB 3 is already outdated as far as I'm concerned. Half the speed at best of TB and no ability to daisy chain. I'm expecting consumer TB drives soon and thats the only thing I would care about USB 3 with. But TB smokes it. Still I can see the complaint, they should have put USB 3 on the display.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thunderbolt won't replace USB 3.0. The fact that the TB cable alone costs 50 bucks means it's not exactly aimed toward consumers. TB is definitely faster but for most people it makes no difference. The consumer grade hardware is not fast enough to even take advantage of USB 3.0's full speed.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Lower speed, lower price. Speed good enough, price low enough. Let's hope TB gets more mainstream than FW anyway.

As usual a nice read over at Anandtech, thanks.

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

"Half the speed" is fast enough for almost every peripheral device out there except for ridiculously expensive SSDs in RAID0 configurations. I am pretty sure that you do not have anything in your setup that USB 3.0 could not handle.

9. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I was really impressed with the review. It was one of the best tech reviews I've seen on YouTube. I appreciated his level of knowledge and ability to ability to express it. I'll be sure to look out for his future reviews.

10. DarwinOSX thread starter macrumors 65816

You would be wrong. Try streaming HD Video in real time while using the same cable for video, sound, network, HD Camera, and data.
    Also do some research on real time bi-directional throughput with TB vs USB 3. For data alone TB smokes USB 3.

QUOTE]"Half the speed" is fast enough for almost every peripheral device out there except for ridiculously expensive SSDs in RAID0 configurations. I am pretty sure that you do not have anything in your setup that USB 3.0 could not handle.[/QUOTE]

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

USB 3.0 can't be used for video, and nobody has claimed that it can. Neither has anybody claimed that USB 3.0 is faster than TB.

However, most people don't use video, audio, network and HD camera at the same time. For a product like TBD, Thunderbolt is a must, but it's not any faster for a simple external HD. That is what most people will be buying. They don't spend $999 on a display.

Right now, TB is looking like FireWire. It's faster and has better features, but the price is simply astronomical to really make it into the mainstream market.