AnandTech talks to Apple about mid '09 MacBook Pro/SSD issues -- Apple doesn't care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mazda 3s, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

In his latest MacBook roundup, he has a whole page dedicated to the issue:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3672&p=5

Here's a blurb:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing new and it's been like this for a long time. We would all expect or like to think that something as simple as a HDD should work in any system but it isn't always the case. Does the situation suck? Sure but it's a waste to talk to Apple about it. It has always been if it's not provided by Apple, it's not supported by Apple. Same goes with RAM. If it doesn't work, you would expect a similar response.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's becoming incredibly typical that Apple will prevent customers from doing one thing, if discovered they magically fix the issues in many cases. IE: The late 2008 Unibody MacBook and the screen that wasn't worth a damn. They magically upgraded this though geniasses across the board were saying the negative black issue were "within spec".

While MS gets **** on constantly for their anti-consumer ways, you rarely hear of a company trying to secretly control what hardware customers use. An OCZ drive should be supported as much as an Intel X25-M.

5. toxicdrift macrumors member

man i was gonna get one of the patriot drives coz of the 10 yr warranty. but now this article comes up with problems with the rest of the drives.. im really wondering if the upgrade is worth it on my 13mbp. :eek:

6. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Good news! The 1819 firmware released yesterday fixes the problems with the new MacBook Pros. My 13" MacBook Pro, which was unusable with with the previous firmwares, now is rock solid in 10.6.2.

There are other confirmed reports of success with 1819 Patriot firmware on the Apple Discussion boards and the Patriot forums.

7. toxicdrift macrumors member

mazda bro! u made my day! .. thanx a ton! will check out their forums. im really lookin to upgrade to a ssd and ram.. looks like im sorted for christmas :D

8. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Here's I'll save you the trouble :) This guy was having the exact same problem as me (same exact configuration included the 128GB Torqx)

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7821&postcount=23

I've been running the 1819 firmware since a little before midnight and have done all sorts of heavy file transfers, Windows 7 session restores in VirtualBox and Time Machine backups and it has been rock solid. I couldn't go a few minutes without the machine hardlocking itself with the previous firmware.

9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I don't know much about SSDs but it sounds like a combination of factors are leading to the SSD issues... if the problem can go away with an SSD firmware upgrade, then its hardly possible to pin the blame totally on Apple.

Given the price and even within various SSDs there are issues depending on the controller, I can wait... but thanks for the article link, interesting info in there. Looks like the CPU matters too, enough so that those who think a 2.26 13" vs. 2.53 13" doesn't differ much might want to reconsider depending on their usage.

10. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I think that Patriot/Indilinx just worked around the Apple SATA II issues with a firmware update. There's still an underlying SATA II issue, however, because people with third-party 5400RPM and 7200 RPM HDDs are having problems as well -- and we all know that SATA HDDs have been well sorted for quite some time now.

11. toxicdrift macrumors member

yea i think patriot must have itself done the workround.. but it sure would be nice to know that u can drop in any ssd, and it would "just" work.. hope apple works on a fix with their controller.. especially since there is just two things people do to upgrade their mac. even though it seems far off... nothing wrong with wishful thinking lol :)

ps / thanx mazda for the link.

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Good point - it made no sense that they didn't enable SATA 3.0, unless they knew there were underlying SATA issues and were trying to prevent it from happening by limiting the SATA operation. And the SSD firmware might just put in better error handling/recovery thus allowing it to recover gracefully from error conditions.

If this is really a physical/signaling issue (ie. its not an Nvidia chipset issue) then all the firmware fixes are fixing recovery from errors, vs. preventing the signaling errors on the wire. Of course Apple could fix it at some point in manufacturing and it will just start magically working.

Am I assuming right that the late '08/early '09s don't have issues with most SSDs including the Patriot drive mentioned here?

13. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Yeah, it's only the mid-09 refreshed Pros that are having the problems.

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

No one knows if "Apple doesn't care" because they never said they didn't. AnandTech states that Apple simply said that the drives were not supported. That is the truth. Technically the only supported drives are the ones that come with the computer. That doesn't mean they aren't adding support, it just means that they aren't disclosing whether they want to fix it or not.

15. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

In other words, they don't care. If this had been any other company that went four months without responding to an issue regarding general purpose hardware that SHOULD work using an industry standard interface, they would have been slaughtered.

It also doesn't help Apple's case that third party drives work perfectly on older MacBooks using the same chipsets AND they work fine in other PC notebooks. I could almost understand there being a few issues with SSDs, but there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for there to be problems with 2.5" third-party HDDs in these MacBooks.

Apple screwed up and doesn't want to admit it.

16. neteng101 macrumors 65816

In a way I'm glad I got a late '08 at a steal of a price when the mid '09s first came out... although that in itself is screwed up with the 6GB RAM ceiling (when the chipset should support 8GB). I suppose they assume and probably correctly so - that most people aren't going to upgrade to SSDs or go to 8GB and so they try to get away with stuff like these by closing an eye since the population of buyers that might be unhappy isn't significant enough to warrant new engineering.

17. gotzero macrumors 68040

It is too bad that so many people are having issues.

I have been blown away by the awesome performance of Corsair P128s in my MBP and now desktop.

It seems like the SSD tech is still pretty hit or miss. The pricing is going up and down, performance claims keep changing, and so on. I think it will take a year or so before everyone really knows what is going on and why...

18. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

When profit, stock etc is involved NOBODY admits fault unless their lawyers tell them it is going to cost more if they don't. Anyone who has ever been "taken care of" by Apple has been so because the person who dealt with their case was cool not because Apple is cool. Profit is the bottom line not doing the right thing. I know call me Captain Obvious ;)