Anatomy of a Macrumors Forum Thread

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
I love Macrumors, don't get me wrong, but why does every post go something like this:

1. Rumor/story posted
2. Someone replies just to say they got 'in first'
3. Some appropriate comments and responses happen
4. Someone makes one or more of the following statements: "Is it snappier?" "Steve would never allow this" "You're holding it wrong" and most recently, "Does it bend?"
5. Further legitimate comments and responses take place
6. Someone replies in an overly sarcastic manner/acts like a know it all
7. Thread dissolves into name calling and/or people trying to prove they know more than each other until reading the thread becomes miserable

Why?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You forgot that bit about how the posts get longer and loooonger towards the end and involve just two diehards - since everyone else bailed days ago. :)

You nailed the "miserable" bit, however.

Last edited:

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
You forgot that bit about how the posts get longer and loooonger towards the end and involve just two diehards - since everyone else bailed days ago. :)

You nailed the "miserable" bit, however.
You're absolutely spot on about the two diehards...spot on.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Lucky enough to be amigos with some roasters, but I'd take instant or even McD's if it were offered to me. :D
That's funny you mention McD's being offered to you, ... they were offering free coffee when you ordered a breakfast sandwich not too long ago (at least in my market).

I'm more of a soda fan, though.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Because that's the nature of the internet. I'd say MR is probably one of the most well behaved forums on the internet. I'm not saying that because I'm a moderator but as a member as well. I've been on other forums (not just mac related) that are down right caustic and insulting.

My take on this, is that people behave quite differently while sitting in front of a computer then face to face. So as time goes on, there are folks that will say the wrong thing, or the people will read a post and take it completely wrong and flame the other poster and thus it devolves.

I'm not making excuses for people's poor behavior but rather pointing out my opinion that its just the nature of the beast.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Steve would never drink instant coffee.
No, only organic, hand-picked beans from above the tree zone of the High Altiplano……..

You're holding the mug wrong.
But is it a porcelain or ceramic mug? This is the question which I wish answered.

Within the schools of thought on coffee consumption, a profound schism exists between those who choose to drink from crockery, ceramic, or porcelain and those who prefer to drink their coffee from glassware. In turn, both groups despise those who are content with the disposable and imperfect nature of plastic….

Isn't tea where its at now?:cool:
No. Not to those of us who consider ourselves coffee………connoisseurs…...

I heard something about coffee. What's going on? :cool:
Ah, yes. This thread has taken on a whole new lease of life…...

Have a cup and sit down. This is devolving into a good thread! We need a coffee cup icon!
Agreed. A seriously good coffee icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.