And again I changed my mind.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Armen, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm still stuck between Milanese Loop or Classic buckle for the SS watch.

Leather:

Pros:

- Both ends that meet the watch are symmetrical
    - Classic look
    - More secure clasp

Cons:

- plain looking
    - Leather durability is questionable.
    - end of band will/can poke out if caught on something (sport band eliminates this by tucking the band under at the end).

Milanese:

Pros:

- Flashy
    - Looks like chainmail!
    - Water or sweat should not compromise durability of the band.

Cons:

- how strong are the magnets? Can bumping into something unlatch it?
    - One end of the band meets the watch at a loop making it asymmetrical in looks. (this kind of bugs me)

Every time I feel convinced of the Milanese Loop I see a video of it and it doesn't look as good as the pictures. Saw a video of the leather band and it looks great.

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I did too :confused:

I think I am just going to cheap out and get a 42mm sport for this first gen.

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Choosing the Stainless steel model over the sport was a breeze for me:

- The middle of the crown is black and not white.
    - Sapphire Crystal is a must for watch glass imo
    - Ceramic coating on the back is a plus
    - Steel is less dingy
    - I think a bit more weight gives a watch a more premium feel.

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Don't get me wrong it is definitely my preference but now I am just thinking that spending 599 on the SS for a first gen vs 399 doesn't make sense for me. I am sure I will change my mind a bunch more times before the 10th. :)

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Milanese is feminine, Link is masculine. By feminine, I don't mean for women. You're going to keep changing your mind depending on what mood you happen to be in. :p

6. Matt- macrumors member

Can you wait until you can try them on at a shop? That's probably the best thing to do

7. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Probably not necessary to even bring gender into this. Anyone can buy any strap, so long as that's the strap they want. The link is just too expensive. I think I'll probably be going for the Milanese loop too.

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

Ever since they announced it, I wanted the Milanese loop. I think it looks the best in my opinion. And not gender specific whatsoever.

9. maleficent86 macrumors regular

maleficent86

I'm sure this is a weird question but I wonder if the Milanese loop will pull or get caught in wrist hair?

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

I was listening to a podcast where they asked someone that same question, and they said no.

11. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Beware that the milanese loop looks pretty bad, when having smaller wrists. Notice the clasp.

[​IMG]

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

That bezel looks nasty lol. Also, that doesn't look like chainmail :(

13. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I find threads like this very reassuring -- because it's nice to know I'm not the only one -- but also disheartening as I realise the only sensible course is to be patient and wait until I can go to an Apple Store and see these things in person.

I was pretty clear on the Milanese loop, but I know exactly what the OP means about the asymmetry. Plus the photo jafingi posted really doesn't look that good. The 42mm -- which looks fine on the Apple Store app -- looks far too large in that picture, and the strap looks far too large for that person's wrist -- it's wrapped almost all the way round.

I was very clear on the black leather loop after I saw the photo below. But I'm torn on the two strap sizes -- I feel like I fall between the cusp of the two. Do I get a strap with what I'm guessing is very little overlap, which might look weird, or one with way too much overlap, or which might even not quite fit.

It makes me realise what a different product this is. I've never had these problems with Apple products before. But that also makes me wonder if Apple understands how to sell them. The photos they have published are at best unhelpful and at worst quite deceptive. What we need to see is clear all-round photos of people with different wrist sizes wearing the different watches. Not idealised, heavily edited, renders.

(I'm also irritated by the fact that many online reviews from people at the event have focussed on the OS. It seems like they don't get that this is not an iPhone that you strap to your wrists. It's a fashion item.)

I've made my peace with spending £599 but I have a growing realisation that I'm just going to have to be patient and go into an Apple Store and accept that this may well mean not actually getting the watch until some time in May.

[​IMG]

14. P4ulypops macrumors member

P4ulypops

i wanted SS 42" with Milianese Loop...

I can't justify £200 for a mirror finish, and I don't care if my (in fact, quite like) a third party strap that I can afford to have a few designs that would work well. And in using the Apple Store App, my wrists are too small for 42mm.

All in all, that put me in the realms of the cheapest combination of 38mm Sport with White band, but then buy lots of third-party bands as an adhoc

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm in the same situation, I'm going to waiting until I can go to an Apple Store to try one on. I have thin wrists so I'm not sure if the 42mm would be right for me. The only thing I do know is that I want to get the Stainless Steel Apple Watch, the leather loop looks nice in both blue and brown, I also like the white, black and blue sport band. Because it's an item I will be wearing i would rather wait and try one on in the Apple Store.

As for the price I don't mind spending £599 or a little more with extra bands, if it's going to be a quality product.

I like the picture of the brown leather loop, i hadn't seen it on someone's wrist in brown before only on the Apple Website so thanks for posting that picture :)

16. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

You think that's the brown one? I thought it was the black one. Now I'm even more confused.

17. Serban Suspended

it is the black one.
    the brown is a light colour and it's called light brown

18. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Of course the problem with the photos we're all poring over is the lighting makes such a difference.

For example, in the photo of the black (?) leather loop I posted, the top and side of the watch looks black -- which makes it look great. But in reality of course, the side is half silver.

I'm so trying to come up with a plan in which I can order the watch on the 10th April, but the argument that it's better to wait to see them in real life is becoming unanswerable.

19. Dave245 macrumors 601

From the picture posted it looks brown to me :eek: i do like the look of the leather loop tho but again it's another reason to try on in the :apple: Store because looking online may be different to how they look in person.

20. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I think the classic buckle looks a lot better IMO. Most of the photos I've seen for the Milanese loop turned me off to it. The leather would be more versatile too

21. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of the milanese loop at all. Just my opinion though.

22. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

Looks gold and white to me.

23. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I wanted the Milanese Loop for sure until just this minute. Ugh. I don't really buy leather, but I have small wrists (under 150 mm), and now I'm worried it will look goofy.