And back she goes...... :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexii, Jul 23, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

Ugh, I was kinda hoping it wouldn't come to this but well, I got a dud. Two major problems, one may be fixable via software, the other definitely not.

I finally had a chance today to sit down and watch a bit of a movie tonight, was kinda looking forward to killing some time between study sessions. So I put on Last of the Mohicans (nothing better than Daniel Day Lewis in a loin cloth, errrrr.... what?), turn the phone sideways, and am shocked at what I see as the dark intro to the movie begins. A veritable ass-load of stuck/burst sub pixels on my beautiful iPhone screen. At first I thought, no way, how could I have missed this? I even created the thread here asking about stuck pixels, how could I not have noticed! Does my phone have a loathsome venereal disease?!? I saw the one stuck green pixel right when I got it, but it was off to the side, no biggie I thought to myself. So i started brainstorming, maybe something under the screen? Dust perhaps? Smudges? Nope, turned the lights on and inspected. Even threw a PS 100% black picture on there and did the unthinkable, I started counting. I stopped counting at 16. Yes, 16. 16 beautiful, designed in America, made in China, broken sub pixels shimmering their happy little broken pixel hearts away. <grumble> I miss my 1st gen :(

To add insult to injury (maybe my iPhone didn't like me looking at it with such a discerning and disappointed eye today), my phone locked up hardcore 4 times today. And by hardcore, i mean HARDCORE. Not even using 3rd party apps, twice it happened when I went into settings, the other two times while browsing the Web. Total lock jam, held down the Home/Power for 10 seconds, still stuck. Try again, still stuck. Hmmmmm. Set it down on the counter and tried again about 5 minutes later, there it goes, screen goes black, reboots and I see the nice Silver Apple with all its broken sub pixels around it like little green decapitated worms, and I wait. And I wait. And I wait. Not looking good. Each time, it took my iPhone on the order of ~ 10 minutes to make it back into the OS (to the slide to unlock screen). Did you restore you ask? Why yes, I did, right between the 3rd lockup and the 4th lockup, and I even made sure to keep all the 3rd party apps off and didn't add back in any data.

She's done jim. Back to AT&T we go.

Hope the replacement comes soon, guess I can get the 16gb I was contemplating in that other thread. My only concern now, stay with Black or switch to White?

EDIT: Btw, I'm gonna do my best to try and take a picture of the pixels in the morning. I don't expect stellar results as I don't have a macro lens for my D80, but I'll do my best.

2. Polymira macrumors regular

I would recommend actually calling Apple (if you want a replacement, not an upgrade). They pay for overnight shipping, and you won't have to wait a month on backorder.

AND, if you'd like (at least they did with the 1st gen), for like $15 or $25, they will ship a loaner iPhone with your return box to use until yours is repaired or replaced.

I'm just saying.... backorder sucks. Especially with att direct fulfullment

3. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear ya, thought about it but I would rather just upgrade to the 16gb. I think this is a sign :)

4. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

One more little addition, I woke up this morning and it was frozen at the 'slide to unlock' screen :(

5. bluelondon macrumors regular

sorry to hear about your problems, good luck with your exchange.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Mine's fine. ::Knock on wood::

But 2.Sl0w is bug-ass buggy, yes it is.

7. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I appreciate your well wishes.

8. bluelondon macrumors regular

just so you know, i'm taking my 16gb black baby back aswell. the glass on the front is raised above the casing about a mm towards the top, battery is very bad, light bleeding on the front left between the glass and casing, and slanted sleep button.

so you're not alone.

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

mine's got this also. other then that, the hardware seems fine, but it's still pretty glitchy on the software front. lots of youtube videos won't play, websites won't come up, stuff like that...

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

The symptoms you describe sound like you have the original firmware (xxx5) that shipped on the iphone. Apple released upgraded firmware (xxx7) on launch day. You should try a restore to upgrade and see if some of the problems go away. 2.0 is a little buggy in general, so some problems won't be resolved until 2.0.1

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but after reading your post I checked my fw version and it's xxx5.

I know if I do a restore I will lose stuff so how exactly do I go about backing it up for a restore? Thanks.

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

After a restore you can use one of your backup's to restore your info. As was pointed out in another thread, the only thing iTunes doesn't back up is your photo's. Search around and you'll find plenty of thread's on this.

13. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

So I called the store this morning and was told the 16gb Black is on a 2-3 week backorder (expected as much), but the 16gb White is arriving in 3 days for most people.

Gonna swing in tomorrow and order the white.

14. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

yeah today is a sad day for me, i returned mine back to the apple store due to where i live being a at&t dead zone, i get no service or 1 bar, i can't make calls or receive calls, i miss txt etc. for now i will get the samsung instinct until i move to a location that has 3g/E reception :(

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give that a try.