Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bitdotpixel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
As blasphemous as it sounds...well, you guys decide.

So, after 5 hours of exploring Leopard, which I reformatted my machine for this morning, I download a System Update; a Security Update to be exact. After the machine restarted, an alert stated that Spotlight had crashed but would not affect other applications. Underneath the message were two choices: relaunch Spotlight or ignore the error. I clicked relaunch, waited a few seconds and received the same message. So I clicked ignore. Again, I waited a few seconds and received the message. I repeated this process for a minute, trying both options to no avail. Finally, I restarted and arrived at the SETUP PAGE. Yes, the same setup which normally follows a reformat. That's right, good ol' Leopard erased my entire computer and it is now stuck in the setup chapter of a reformat; even without the OS cd in the drive. The computer is shot and I have to completely reformat again. All this before ever having installed any real apps and putting this awesome OS to the test.

All of this unfolded on a G4 1.42 ghz Mini. According to Apple's specifications, this small machine will accommodate Leopard without fail. Sorry, tonight was 100% fresh squeezed iError.

Thankfully I didn't lose anything of value.

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Sorry man. I did an upgrade from Panther to Leopard on my wifes 1.25 g4 mini. It worked perfect. Same on my Macbook. I have had some serious kick in the nuts experiences with Apple, and warranty repairs in the past, so maybe the Apple gods had some sympathy on me this time.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
haha @ 100% fresh squeezed iError.

i love leopard and ive had no problems with it on my MBP core duo. i hope your experience with Leopard will be better in the future. its a really great OS and when you get to spend more time with it im sure you will love the new features and never look at Tiger the same way.

unfortunately an erase and install is in order. its seems like youve already backed up so go for it!

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Yep, even Macs go screwy now and then. :eek:
I wouldn't have been so hasty as to decide I hated an entire company just because of a single messy installation procedure, but I can understand the frustration. Hopefully an Erase and Install will fix things so that you can actually enjoy this awesome OS.

bitdotpixel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Alrighty,

I reformatted twice over. Everything appears to be fine except for one thing that happened all day yesterday before the initial crash. When I bring a minimized window up from the dock, the entire display fragments everything (including the desktop and Menu bar) into 4 quarters and disperses it all into the opposite corners of my screen, then it snaps back into place. Visualize F11, but it actually breaks the OS apart. Please help me out guys.

Best,
John

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sounds like you are about to have some type of hardware failure, you should run the hardware test to see if anything shows.

bitdotpixel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Robert,

I have an update. Upon closer inspection, the Desktop and Menu bar don't move, just the window that is being moved from the Dock. It doesn't split into 4, it splits into two, with the left half sliding to the extreme right and the right half sliding to the extreme left, then snapping back together. It's a very fast motion.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.