And I thought 200GB on my 17" MBP would be plenty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waywardsage, Apr 25, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Well, I recieved my tricked out 17" Penryn MBP earlier this month and have found myself in a bit of a pickel. I've installed all my software consisting of:

Shake
    Photoshop CS2
    Final Cut Studio
    iWork
    MS Office 08
    various other small programs

And after installing Windows XP I find myself only holding onto 30GB of free space! I couldn't even fit all my music on it! I have 40GB of music alone.

I find myself counting the day until I can install a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive so I can carry all my files/applications around!

And before anyone asks, yes. I need a 7200RPM drive for Final Cut Studio. Its a production/personal laptop for my budding production business.

And I don't have a ton of files on there taking up space! I only have 10GB of pictures and less than a gig of documents and misc.

Anyone else find themselves in this pickle?

2. kashik macrumors regular

It's a laptop, a slim one at that. Unfortunately that limits us. Just get an external and stream your music from that...?

So far I'm doing alright, but because of school I haven't had much chance to focus on filling it up. I may also need a new HD in the summer.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I put in the hitachi travelstar 7k200 in my mbp and took out the 250gb hdd and bought a fw800 external hdd case from owc and carry it around with me and its perfect! Not to mention a 1tb external hdd from owc fw800 as well to load up all my movies/music.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

I hope you didn't stick all 60gb of media from Final Cut Studio on there... Do you really need it all on the internal? You can get 250gb or 320gb externals for that stuff for really cheap!

5. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

This goes to another question i have. I went thru the final cut studio install, (which is INSANELY long.) and after about disc 5 it asked for the "final cut pro disc" which, there isnt' one thats JUST named that in the pkg. I tried putting the installer disc back in cuz its the only one named final cut pro and the install crashed. I tried this twice to the same results. I have all the discs but can't figure it out for the life of me.

So should I install the libraries of effects on my 1TB Gtech FW800 drive? Would this compromise performance? How much space might this save me, (and yes, i did install in on my MPB's internal hard drive.)

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thats exactly what I was thinking. You should definitely move that to an external.

7. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Yes, install it on your external G-tech. They allow multiple video streams, so unless you're using several layers from that source, you'll be fine. As for the install, I'm not sure what the issue is, or which disk you're needing, but a quick call to Apple will likely resolve it.

You may also want to consider moving some of your other files to an external. I sincerely doubt that you need all your picture or music files to reside on the main hard drive. You got a very nice G-tech external, and if you decide to get another external, you can opt for an SATA expresscard, which will allow you to get an eSATA drive, which is even faster than firewire 800.

But the 1 terabyte drive will probably be plenty for now. If you need a smaller, portable drive for on the go to store music or photos, there are several options as well. :)

8. shoarthing macrumors member

. . the Expresscard interface hangs off the USB2 controller in a Macbook Pro . . . stick with 1394b for max speed.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just install programs your less likely to use on an External.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Anyone needing Final Cut Pro that much would probably not be on a MBP. There really is no reason for it. Portability is probably not a plus: you don't wanna deal with glare, battery life is terrible, some projects don't need to be shown to the public and there is always that risk that you drop it and you lose your work.

So I'm in agreement with everyone else, put it on the external. And if you really don't like that idea... get a 16GB flash drive :D

11. Smurfed macrumors regular

You're just going to have to wait for Toshiba's 2.5" 320GB 7200 which i think releases near the end of june.

12. mikey.f macrumors regular

I discovered that no matter how big my hard-drives are, they never have enough space. I just happen to find a way each time to fill it up :p.

13. macffooky macrumors regular

If you delete printer drivers (Library/Printers) you don't need, iDVD, maybe Garageband files from Library/Application Support and run Monolingual you'll reclaim 4-5 gigs right away.

14. sud macrumors regular

This is probably the best place to ask then, I am looking to upgrade my internal drive in the MacBook Pro, I was one of the lucky ones who bought a new MacBook Pro about 2 months b4 the line was upgraded to the larger drives. I will be using Final Cut Studio 2 with Shake a bit later on which, hard drive would you recommend? I was reading that the Samsung 320gb is a good option while the seek times are a bit slow the internal transfer was of the fastest. I wold probably go the full install on the internal which I think is 55gb I also have about 5gb of photos and 4gb music amongst office and games which amount to about another 5gb.

Just one last question, when editing video using FCP is it better to keep all the video on an external FW drive that i am editing I read that you should not keep FCP on the same drive as the media is kept for performance reasons?

Thanks

Sud

15. matperk macrumors 6502

I disagree. I use my MBP with FCS in multiple places. Lugging around a desktop is a ridiculous idea. Besides -- who would run that off battery? And in terms of the "doing work in public stuff" -- it's not like i'm doing goverment research projects in a library. Just work on different projects in different places.

It is that original disc. If the install is crashing there is something else wrong.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Have you ever considered installing a OptiBay in your MBP?

[​IMG]

It could double the HD space available. Choose between having one work drive and one data drive, or having the option to RAID the internal drives giving you tons more scratch disk plus better performance, it'll beat any standalone 7200rpm drive.

However, by using a RAID 0 you'll double the likelihood that something will go wrong - not a huge problem if you keep backups on another HD, also.. You'll need to lugg around your SuperDrive in an external case should you want or wish to burn your output - a small price to pay IMHO.

17. zerohp macrumors member

This is not true according to my testing. I have an enclosure that does USB, FW400, FW800 and eSata. I tested all of these and used a esata card in the slot. It was faster than even the internal 7200rpm drive, but not so much that I am willing to use it over FW800.

18. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Same here, I've used usb 2 and eSATA and it's not even close...eSata is a lot faster.