...and I thought I was just buying a Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soop53, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I purchased a mac pro last month...a pretty nice sum I might add. I was okay with the price because I knew I was getting a "Work-of-Art". I convinced my wife that by not purchasing the expensive and outdated 23" ACD, I could save $400 by purchasing a Samsung 245BW...a beauty.

Well, this is where things get crazy...out-of-control. Now, I just had to have a back up system...APC 1500 RS...$200. I just had to have more hard drives...hence 2 new F1 750s (ordered today)...$278.

I just had to have a way to boot both OSX and Windows so ordered Fusion, today...$39 ed discount. Oh, and she really likes the ease of .mac mail account (she is not computer literate) so I ordered it also today for $69 with my Fusion order.

Oh, but wait...I am now, shopping for 8 Gs of Ram. Probably looking at $400 range. Now, you think that would be it...NO, I needed a new computer chair...got a great one for $99. My Altec Lansings are pretty lame and outdated so I am shopping for new speakers.

Oh and I just updated my Reunion software to version 9.

..then there are war games, photoshop, music, a new camera, updates to my Harley... Actually, I am trying to see how cool a apple logo will look on my leather jacket underneath my harley emblem...:cool:

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Yeah, Apple's relationship to its customers is very similar to that of a cocaine dealer and his/her clients.

3. astroboi macrumors member

Except that in this case, the first one's not free :(

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

I just pictured Steve Jobs standing on the corner with a MBA in his ratty jacket as a "customer" walks up and they quickly exchange the goods. As the customer walks off we hear Jobs say, "He'll be back for more." The wife of the customer finds the MBA and asks him about it. He says, "I was just experimenting with technology, I can quit whenever I want."

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Once you go pro, ya don't go back! I'd like to see some pics! Upgrades are a beautiful thing.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

well here's my mac pro spec is whats on my signature.

[​IMG]

7. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Haha, that's like buying a video game system and thinking you're never going to buy games or controllers.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I like the desk. You're at college, right?

9. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Heh, sounds exactly like my story....brand new Mac Pro (first time Mac owner, even...specs in sig), and I was thinking "hmm...I have 2 monitors now, but that's kinda outdated, lemme get one 24" (also a Samsung 245BW, love it!) ... Oh, and my PC speakers won't fit into the new Mac anywhere, better upgrade those...ah, closeout special on the Bose at CompUSA ($300), and I need some extra hard disks to fill up my 4 spots 2 x 320 gig ($120 total), 1 1TB drive @$220 (Newegg)...."

Also 8 gigs from OWC ($400)...I spent a LOT more than I originally planned, but this thing's also now gonna last me 5+ years too...and selling down the road, I should make MOST of the original cost of the system itself back ($2300-2500, probably), in order to afford the new one...

I'm loving this computer, best, most powerful one I've ever owned - talk about absolutely no reason to switch back to a PC...

One question on your Samsung 245BW - Do you color calibrate your monitor? If so (or even if you don't), do you notice some banding on darker images? Please PM me and I'll send you an image to show you what I'm talking about.

Thanks...and awesome machine :)

-Bryan

10. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hey Soop53, how are you finding your Samsung screen? I am also thinking of doing the same as the ACD's are so out of date now!

Have you tried any games on it or film? Any Ghosting issues?

Thanks

11. FireArse macrumors 6502a

12. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Speaking from experience, cocaine is nothing compared to using my mac.

:p;)

13. supercooled macrumors 6502a

It's funny because I can resonate with this. I priced out a "standard" Mac Pro and convinced myself that that would be it in order to stay fiscally responsible. Soon after I had to order more memory, a new display, harddrives, new peripherals -- Wacom tablet, argh! I'm currently shopping around for speakers as well.

14. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

To answer you and GoKyu, I really love my Samsung 245BW. I have not played any games yet...had to replenish my funds...but did watch a couple clips of films...no ghosting that I could tell.

15. Mastershredder macrumors member

I just saw that my local Sam's Club has them for $399. I'm gonna go grab one after work tonite. Thanks!

16. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Is that a subwoofer right next your MP? I thought they were not supposed to be that close to the computer, as they have gigantic magnets.

17. Jonny427 macrumors regular

The only things I did not replace were my speakers and mouse. Everything else totaled about $4600 :)

18. 330toSRT8 macrumors member

Unfortunately, a Mac Pro is not exclusive like a Ferrari! :) I can't imagine someone buying your 5-year-old machine for $2300.

19. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can see a little over $1000, but not 80ish% as you suggest. Not in five years. Not after Nehalem...:D

21. TKEik683 macrumors member

I feel your pain.

I bought the MP, a Dell 2407, will buy a Dell 2408 this month, 4gb from OWC.

Now on the block of purchases are: New Router (will plug old external HDD into it), new external HDD, wireless printer, ohh and an Mackbook Air.

Damn the MBA for being so sexy.

Dave

22. sturob macrumors regular

Yeah, I too have been totally seduced lately. MBA, then an MP.

And I have to say, that having first had a 17" PB, then a 15" MBP, and now the MBA, I fall into the crowd who wouldn't ever get a big laptop again. The MBA is great.

And whatever power is lacking . . . well, that's why Jobs gave us the MP, no?

Stuart

23. TKEik683 macrumors member

^^ Thats my thinking. My first personal laptop was a Dell 15" 7+ years ago. I figured I would be taking it around all the time. At ~7 pounds that rarely happened.

My next laptop was my 12" iBook. I loved that thing, I did take with me everywhere.

I figure the MBA would be the same way. However being out of school and not needing another computer at work means less places I would take it.

But damn it, its so darn sexy!

Dave

24. hadleydb macrumors 6502

hadleydb

When will the addiction stop? How far can it go? I guess everyone has their weaknesses. I'm looking for Ram now and I need another Terabyte of hard drive space. I can't believe I've used up my stock 320 gig already and a 500 Gig! I can admit though this is by far the best Mac/computer I've had to date. The thing is sooooo fast and awesome!

Now I need something portable...:apple:

Oh and whenever we see a Stevenote... it's like a magical being introducing you to the most addictive products on the planet. He makes you excited for something you would never use. I almost bought a Macbook Air and I don't even travel. :eek: