Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Okay so here is my opinion on all the craziness revolving around defective iPhone 4's.

First the Yellow Stain!

I figure around 350,000 of the 600,000 pre-ordered iPhone 4's have been delivered by now. OBVIOUSLY just a guess!

By Gizmondos current estimate of 27+ reported cases (yellow stain), and for all intensive purposes, there are probably those not being reported. Lets figure that even if the total number was 10,000 defective units out of the estimated 350,000 shipped so far, that is only a 2-3% defective rate, which is absolutely normal for a mass produced product.

So lets just assume this holds true when all 600,000 pre-ordered iPhones are sold and shipped tomorrow, thats 18,000 units out of the 600,000 sold that may be defective.

Thats 18,000 units that will be under warranty, and will have to be replaced by Apple.

So now that we can estimate the big picture, its really not that bad, when only 27+ cases where actually reported so far.

I would say my estimates of 18,000 defective units are a worst case scenario anyway, and a worst case scenario of a 2-3% defective rate, come on?

And we know Apple will make good on the defective merchandise!

Now for the ANTENNA ISSUE!

Apple, would not release hardware in a product after a year of testing, that would so greatly drop calls.

Obviously the design was heavily tested before Apple would send it through production.

The likelihood of a product making its way through testing for months and months with this big of a hardware issue is so substantially ridiculous.

So my opinion, its a software issue. Mostly with the displaying of signal quality. That may or may not effect call quality. ???

However its a simple fix regardless. Send us a firmware update Apple!

Thats my opinion, let me hear yours!

Til then I await picking up my iPhone 4 tomorrow, fingers crossed!

-Frank

lomafor

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I really hope the antenna issue can be fixed by software update!

I am typing on my iPhone 4 right now, the bar is not dropping at this moment. But it happen sometime.

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I really hope the antenna issue can be fixed by software update!

I am typing on my iPhone 4 right now, the bar is not dropping at this moment. But it happen sometime.

Apple has known about the dropped wifi signal problem with our iPads for over 2 months and havent done a thing about it. No reason to expect they will jump all over iPhone problems.

drewby

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
Seattle, WA, USA
The likelihood of a product making its way through testing for months and months with this big of a hardware issue is so substantially ridiculous.

So my opinion, its a software issue. Mostly with the displaying of signal quality. That may or may not effect call quality.

I hope you are correct. I was thinking about this too. I don't know but imagine that based in CA they did a lot of testing closer to home then elsewhere. And some areas have worse coverage than others. It may be the case that software-wise it is picky with weak or not-super-strong signals, which they may not have encountered enough to have seen this too much???:confused:

For instance, here in the Seattle metro area, I have never had a lost call on any of my iPhones, but in NY, NY we hear complaints all the time.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Okay so here is my opinion on all the craziness revolving around defective iPhone 4's.

First the Yellow Stain!

I figure around 350,000 of the 600,000 pre-ordered iPhone 4's have been delivered by now. OBVIOUSLY just a guess!

By Gizmondos current estimate of 27+ reported cases (yellow stain), and for all intensive purposes, there are probably those not being reported. Lets figure that even if the total number was 10,000 defective units out of the estimated 350,000 shipped so far, that is only a 2-3% defective rate, which is absolutely normal for a mass produced product.

So lets just assume this holds true when all 600,000 pre-ordered iPhones are sold and shipped tomorrow, thats 18,000 units out of the 600,000 sold that may be defective.

Thats 18,000 units that will be under warranty, and will have to be replaced by Apple.

So now that we can estimate the big picture, its really not that bad, when only 27+ cases where actually reported so far.

I would say my estimates of 18,000 defective units are a worst case scenario anyway, and a worst case scenario of a 2-3% defective rate, come on?

And we know Apple will make good on the defective merchandise!

Now for the ANTENNA ISSUE!

Apple, would not release hardware in a product after a year of testing, that would so greatly drop calls.

Obviously the design was heavily tested before Apple would send it through production.

So my opinion, its a software issue. Mostly with the displaying of signal quality. That may or may not effect call quality. ???

However its a simple fix regardless. Send us a firmware update Apple!

Thats my opinion, let me hear yours!

Til then I await picking up my iPhone 4 tomorrow, fingers crossed!

-Frank

My thought exactly--except that also the yellow spots may be temporary, and have something to do with the screen 'curing' or something *shrugs*

My screen's perfect, and with my little $2.99 case I have no reception issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.