And onto version 2..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iamasmith, Apr 11, 2015.

1. iamasmith, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

No, this isn't a post about not buying now.. I orders and I wanted to share some of the reasons I think version 2 shouldn't be that much of a wrench (unless it's in the next 6 months).

Some people obviously quite like Apple Watch as an idea.. I like it and personally I want to support Apple and see what they can do with it because if anybody can really do something significant in this area then I'm sure Apple can. I'm curious, I think this might be a valuable tool for me and want to enjoy the benefits of a popular and justifiably well developed product over it's generations.

Let's focus on the SS model just now because I think versatility is the key here. It's little more pricey than the entry level and right now people have an up-front cost of the whole package of the watch and the strap used and many are already buying extra bands, even before launch.. I bought a SS model with a leather strap and added to the order an elastomer strap and am already thinking about a Milanese loop.

If you consider that the exquisite bands being offered may be purchased on those occasional 'retail therapy' trips from time to time over the year, then in 2 years time, assuming you hang on to the tech for at least 2, body replacement is the key thing.

I would love to hear that Apple could rip out and exchange the guts of the watch but it wouldn't be economic to do that, I'm sure of that and I'm sure that most educated buyers of Apple products realise they get the best by buying products that are worth it and that produce a clear profit margin that support the development of these great technologies to even greater offerings in the future. Apple products aren't the cheapest but they really create great solutions and produce significant advances at the point when you feel a need to reinvest in their ecosystem.

The really obvious thing to show customer support would be to ensure that the bands from v1 were forward compatible and that future designs could use this investment. I suspect they won't comment but it would clearly help band sales independently of the watch and would ease the transition to v2 if a body only option was allowed for the Watch.

So, if you spent X on Apple Watch right now would you think that 2/3 X would be too much in 2 years time.

Then ask yourself the question.. you spend X now, occasional trips and presents gave you another X/2 investment in the ecosystem, would you then think a body replacement that cost 2/3 of the initial value X to be expensive in 2 years time..?

If you think in those terms a V1 doesn't seem that bad does it..?

2. ekrueger24 macrumors regular

I would hope that whenever Apple decides to update these and what the update cycle turns out to be, that they will have the option to purchase the face alone without a strap for a lower price point for the people who have had the Apple Watch 1 and don't need/want a new strap.

This does assume that version 1's bands will work on the next iteration, and I believe it was announced that they would.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

It definitely would not be economical for Apple to take back hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of Watches for "upgrades" but hopefully they do offer just the watch body next year, particularly in the Space Black, which is sold only with the pricey link band.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I just hope the bands still work in v2. That is the real expense for me. I have spent more on bands than the watch itself.

It cannot go much thinner and still use the same bands.

5. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Hang on a minute, then what do I do with my old watch? I can't sell it to someone without the bloody strap.

6. iamasmith thread starter macrumors regular

iamasmith

a) Don't - sell with strap.
    b) Trade in programme.
    c) If viable to another family member.. etc.
    d) That box with the the Palm Pilots and Windows CE devices :D