And people HATE Beats?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tucom, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Tucom, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

So I'm a long, LONG time audiophile and speaker and sound system 'connoisseur', of sorts. I've owned them all - Klipsch Reference series, Polk Audio high end subwoofers, M-Adudio, KRK studio monitors driven by a NAD C325BEE amplifier, Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay S8's (still have these, they're not going anywhere) - and Bose Lifestyle systems.

Just bought a pair of Beat Pro's - HOLY **** - Are you KIDDING ME? These things sound incredible! - they simply sound, well, unreal. Everything from the incredibly detailed and musical bass response, to the mids and highs, everything just sparkles and shakes my spine at the same time. I've never heard a pair of headphones sound this good. Or audio in general sound this visceral and surreal.

Granted I'm sure a pair of Sennheiser HD800's would smoke these, but for 1/4th the price, I'm beyond a Beats Audio fan. These are the post-split Monster vs. Dre Beats Pro's - the Apple-owned versions sans Monster.

Additionally - I will say these absolutely ECLIPSE the Studio's - even the new wireless 3's w/ the Apple W1 chip - Just bought those a few days ago and it's a night and day difference - I'll be returning those.

Love. These.

The new Beats Pill + I bought for my Mother for wireless streaming from her new iPhone - Unreal. Sounds as good mid and treble range wise as much bigger, higher end bookshelfs. Bass is incredible for its size.

Granted, if I heard the original studios I might have been a Beats hater, too - but these newer Apple Pro's are just simply sublime.

2. macross87 macrumors member

macross87

People have their opinions: News at 11.

But honestly, comparing brands is much like a Ford/Chevy debate. It really comes down to personal taste, budget, task at hand, etc.

I will say that I had the Solo3's for a year and they were okay. I would not wear them for more than 8 hours a day or the upper part of my ear would be tender. These Studio3's are amazing and take the cake for me!

3. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

True indeed - The title was more 'in jest' - like, how can ANYONE hate these? Obviously people have their preference and bias, but these Pro's are mind blowing.

Glad you like the Studio 3's - again, will be returning mine as I find the Pro's to just be a good 5 steps above them. IF you like the Studio's - give the Pro's a shot, even just for curiosity's sake though it seems you may be be looking for wireless only.

4. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I think a lot of it comes down to the reputation of the brand at the end of the day. There was a point where some Beats headphones were pretty heavy on the bass and muddy elsewhere but my Beats X are pretty decent. To me it reminds me of the days when you had to Ctrl-click on a Mac - this was a big thing back then but even 5-7 years after Apple introduced the ability to right-click without Ctrl I still had people say "You still can't right-click on a Mac?!"

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

I think a lot of hate comes from people simply not forming their own opinion and just repeating/adopting what they have saw or heard from someone else...and then you have the 'audiophile snobs' who think whatever they use is the only thing you should use.

They don't realize that everyone has their own taste, say what you will about bose but I have a pair of desktop speakers that are still going strong and I bought them over 10 years ago and they sound fantastic. I think it has a lot to do with saturation, beats like bose are mass market, they aren't niche.

Some people want great sound at an affordable price - "true audiophiles" don't understand that. (my opinion, what do I know?)

6. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Completely true - A lot of people jump on the band wagon simply to 'regurgitate' what others have said because they think it puts them in this 'circle' of acceptance and righteousness regarding their brand of choice - it's beyond stupid. I myself am willing to try just about any kind of speaker setup - as long as it's legitimately not obviously meant to be a bottom of the barrel solution kind of thing. And these Beats Pro's were one of those scenarios where it was a literal 'wow..' that went across my face. It was insane.

So have my Bang & Olufsen S8's for mid day listening and the Beats Pro's for late night - not a bad combination haha.

And yeah, Bose is great - I was taking an Uber to work the other day and the guy had a Bose sound system in his car - to say his sounded superb would be a gross understatement. I'm guessing you have the Companion 2 or 3's? I've had all of them, up to the Companion 20's and 5's - all of which were outstanding. Bose knows what they're doing.

7. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

I am actually still rocking the first foray into computer speakers, the mediamates. They have wandered around the house over the years, they are currently attached to my daughter's turntable. Great sound still. Bought them in 2004.