And people said Lion was bad!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by striker33, Jul 31, 2012.

1. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Lion may have broke WiFi connectivity and hot corners, but wow ML has broken so much more than what it's fixed.

I can't remember ever having Lion crash or break completely on me. Yet since the release of ML I have to hard reset my Mac numerous times every day due to it freezing and becoming unresponsive when I close the lid to sleep it.

Thats on top of the issues with using apps such as Safari in fullscreen causing hot corners to stop functioning completely, and preventing the top status bar from displaying.

I honestly have no idea how this thing was released as a final build, as everything just feels very beta-ish.

If Lion didnt run so horribly on the rMBP I'd seriously consider downgrading.

Oh how I miss you Snow Leopard :(

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Re-install

There's something clearly wrong with your installation.

3. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    I agree with several post that I've read this morning. I've been having so many problems with ML that I'm sorry i ever upgraded!!!

Yeah, where are you Snow Leopard?:confused:

4. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

This. Everything seems better/faster/smoother for the machines I've upgraded.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've read it all.

Safari is slow
    Wifi doesn't connect
    Stability issue

Not saying this stuff isn't happening but I'm not sure that the culprit is Mountain Lion. We all have different software on our computers and troubleshooting these issue can require some effort.

Retina MBP should be running fine. I just upgraded a friends yesterday and everything worked fine.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Clean ML install, late 2010 MBP with OCZ Vertex 2 (the Octane S2 does't support ML), Netgear WNDR3700 current firmware.

Zero problems.

7. pdxplm macrumors newbie

pdxplm

Same here, Zero issues on a 2010 MacPro and 2010 MBP 13". I found that after a clean install, everthing was ZIPPY!! I am just getting used to how Safari works and a few other things but no probs with WiFi, speed, crashing or other issues with apps.

8. striker33 thread starter macrumors 65816

striker33

Nothing wrong with the installation.

I had these issues on my first rMBP as well, which had both an upgrade installation and a clean installation.

There is something clearly wrong with ML.

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have no issues with the upgrade - everything works as well/ better than it used to...

10. diogolg macrumors member

I upgraded mine from Lion and everything was great, but my boot time was terrible. Did a clean install and it's everything running smoothly now.

11. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I dunno...Safari seems snappier to me.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

There's nothing inherently wrong with the OS itself. I installed it (upgraded from Lion) on 2 machines and been having none of these problems. Numerous others actually report better performance than on Lion. This can very well be an issue unique to rMBP models. Did you install all the necessary updates?

13. leadfeather89 macrumors member

14. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I did a clean install and so far so good. The only thing I noticed was that when I go to my System Preferences and click on Screen Saver,if I put on a busy Screen Saver,it will turn off and give me the Unexpected Message.I've tried deleting the busier Screen Savors but it still happens.Does anyone have any ideas about what it might be???:confused:

2011 iMac 21.5,3.06Ghz,i3,12GB Ram,500Int.& 500Ext.HD's:apple:

15. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

One option is to wait until the kinks are ironed out before upgrading your OS. That's also a good way to find out if your 3rd party apps will be affected.

Maybe next time!

16. Eddyala macrumors newbie

Maybe Next Time? What about this time? It might be a year before Apple decides to upgrade,how do I know? I'll try re-installing and maybe this damn upgrade of Mountain Lion will start to behave...GROWLLL! Sit lil'kitty.:apple:

17. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Maybe next time you'll wait!

18. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'm suspecting operator error then. Mountain Lion is definitely better than Lion. Pretty much a unanimous vote here, and elsewhere.

19. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I had TONS of issues with Lion after upgrading. That all went away with a clean install. Probably the same thing for you and ML.

21. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Anyone have a link or instructions to doing a "clean" install? Do I need to remove it first?

I've been having a lot of the negative issues that were mentioned above.

Thanks

22. takezo808 macrumors member

Clean install. Backup files manually to a external HDD. Creat Bootable Flash drive with ML on it. do clean install of ML and create a fresh brand new user for the clean install. transfer files back and redo everthing else.

Wifi maybe shot dead with ML. Airportd daemon probes network. If probe fails, wifi dies and will only work again after turing wifi off and on. If you use airport base station or have a wide open (unsecure) wifi on a new router, it should be no problem.

I want my wifi ssdi hidden and AES encrypted. A total clean install of ML with fresh user. Wifi still fails. Used internet recovery mode of 2011 mac mini to restore Lion. Wifi works with no issue.

probably need to wait till ML propagates more and more instances of WIFI dropping issues arise for a solution from apple to be implemented.

23. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

ML was acting up for me. I went to the prefs in Safari and disabled Java. Problem solved.

24. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

No problems for me either. One of the best .0 releases in my experience...

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No problems at all. Safari is faster,everything is stable. So far, excellent upgrade!:D