And so it begins, kickstarter 24k gold plated Apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Mar 12, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Who's going to know? So just how exclusive will a gold Apple watch be?

I think a lot of people will be buying a gold plated Apple watch, but it's kinda stupid, criminals will not know the difference and will think it's 10,000:eek:

There will be more after market gold Apple watches then real ones.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/758219280/24k-gold-plated-apple-watch

2. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone going to get a gold plated Apple watch? I think we will see lots of Gold Apple watches, from totally fake gold for a few $100 more, and gold plated for between 1500-3000.

Looks like Goldgenie will be offering one in platinum too, around $2000 us.

http://time.com/3723970/apple-watch-gold-plated/

Also if you search there are some amazingly blinded out watches that will be available with diamonds and jewels that blow away the standard gold Apple watch.

So who's thinking about getting either a fake gold watch or spending a few $100 more on a 24k gold plated one?

I would, but I'm thinking you will become a target from thieves thinking you got a $17,000 watch:D

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No thanks. I'll stick to traditional stainless steel.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

"by Very Good Plating Co."

Their Kickstarter looks cheap and lazily-done frankly. $1000 for a gold-plated stainless steel model isn't a bad price though.

5. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is probably just some guy going to buy a gold plating kit after its funded and do it for the first time...just a guess, but looks like that.

If I really wanted a solid good job I would try Goldgenie, or a professional jewelry store that specialized in gold plating.

But it's going to be interesting to see all the aftermarket modifications, not just gold, it's jewelry and very personal item.

6. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter if it isn't these guys, someone else will offer the service, and at a glance, it'll be impossible to tell the difference between a real and a fake. There's a lot of great Rolex fakes out there, and they say that 9/10 Rolexes you see are probably fakes, but the wearer will always know because of the quality of the insides - well, that won't matter now, because the insides of an Apple Watch Edition and an Apple Watch Sport are exactly the same.

Hilarious.

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Most amateur kits are 24k.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Of course, the bottom of the case will still have...

"316L Stainless Steel"

...engraved in it.

So unless that gets filled in and changed, a later buyer / thief will be able to see that it's not the Edition.

Apple-Watch-steel-band.jpg

Also, possibly the serial number will have a different prefix for gold.

10. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

That's not the point. It'll have the appearance of being an Edition, and the damage is done. No rich kids get to feel that special, and this failed experiment will end sooner rather than later.