Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
my nano is supposed to arrive today! i ordered my macbook on saturday. It's black (yea, i know i'm a sucker), 1 gb ram, and 120 gb hdd. it still hasnt shipped :( , but the nano has and is supposed to arrive today. i woke up yesterday, saw the nano deal, and thought oh no! but i got on the phone with apple and they decided to add the nano and let me get the rebate on it. i'm driving myself crazy waiting for my macbook! i'm not as excited about the nano, i already have a 5th gen 30 gb ipod. anyways, does anybody have any advice as to what to do to help make the waiting more bearable?

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
Well

I went through the same thing. The reason it was really bad for me, the last Macintosh OS I have used was on my Performa 6400/200mhz. I have been a PC user ever since. Mainly linux on my workstations with a dual-boot of XP hear and there for some school work and games, and FreeBSD and NetBSD for my production servers.

Basically I have been wanting a new Apple computer since they went to a BSD platform, which gave it much more stability. And then when they went intel processors, I knew it was time to pull the trigger.

I just had to keep my mind on other things, and run OS X on my PC (shh!). But, this thing is a beauty. The first 10 days I had it I spent ALL of my freetime on it, and stayed up way too late! Anyways, I am now waiting for my replacement MacBook Pro.

Good luck with the wait.
*Cheers*

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
dextertangocci said:
How is that possible?:confused:
With the tiger supporting intel processors it is possible to run OSX on a PC. But it`ll be illegal. and sorta stupid IMO. I hope yah00z is using a legal copy copy of OSX and not some pirated version atleast.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
count chocula said:
my nano is supposed to arrive today! i ordered my macbook on saturday. It's black (yea, i know i'm a sucker), 1 gb ram, and 120 gb hdd. it still hasnt shipped :( , but the nano has and is supposed to arrive today. i woke up yesterday, saw the nano deal, and thought oh no! but i got on the phone with apple and they decided to add the nano and let me get the rebate on it. i'm driving myself crazy waiting for my macbook! i'm not as excited about the nano, i already have a 5th gen 30 gb ipod. anyways, does anybody have any advice as to what to do to help make the waiting more bearable?
I recommend checking http://www.apple.com/orderstatus every two to three minutes. :)

Seriously, though...congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it, and I'm extremely jealous. :)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
vikas soni said:
With the tiger supporting intel processors it is possible to run OSX on a PC. But it`ll be illegal. and sorta stupid IMO. I hope yah00z is using a legal copy copy of OSX and not some pirated version atleast.

But isn't there some sort of protection built into the OS that prevents this?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I recommend spending inordinate amounts of time surfing the forums here and reading every Mac news site you can find. And of course check your order status every 10 minutes or so.

Also, when you eventually get a tracking number make a link to it in your bookmark bar, and click that link every 30 seconds to see where it is. Remember, though, that FedEx is bad with their tracking system, so often the info doesn't update for several hours--in some cases the thing was already halfway to me before the number started working, and it was suposed to be 300 miles away when it was already on the truck for delivery.

And if you think that wait is hard, try waiting a month--I ordered an original G5 tower very early on, and it was over a month before it shipped. Worse, when it did, it was literally the day I left for a business trip to Alaska, so my beautiful machine had to sit in a box for 3 days until I got back. Couldn't believe the timing.

dextertangocci said:
But isn't there some sort of protection built into the OS that prevents this?
Yes, but it can be gotten around at this point. Hackers are ingenious folk. Whether that makes it ok to do is a different matter.

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
thanks guys, i have been checking the order status alot. the nano was supposed to be delivered today, but i was at school and nobody was home. they'll try again tomorrow and i might just have them leave it. how safe do you guys think that would be? and where should i ask them to leave it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.