Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
After that big stink a few weeks ago about MacDefender and its variants, all that alarmist news about Mac malware has suddenly become a silent. Haven't heard a peep ever since.

So did Apple's solution prove effective? Are the malware authors still attempting to make variants? I noticed that Apple's malware definitions file has been updated to version 18. So something must be going on still, but it's likely no longer a significant threat anymore.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
After that big stink a few weeks ago about MacDefender and its variants, all that alarmist news about Mac malware has suddenly become a silent. Haven't heard a peep ever since.

So did Apple's solution prove effective? Are the malware authors still attempting to make variants? I noticed that Apple's malware definitions file has been updated to version 18. So something must be going on still, but it's likely no longer a significant threat anymore.

apple got us covered as long as u applied the software update ;)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'm on a G5 running 10.5.8, and there were no software updates required on my machine. One of the things I was hesitant about when considering adopting the intel chips, very well known by hackers. I guess PPC remained unaffected.:cool:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Well, this is interesting. After skyrocketing to version 20, Apple's def files suddenly stopped there. Are the criminals now realizing it's not worth their effort and are giving up? Or are they retooling the thing to come back for round 2?

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
We're on version 21 of the definitions, last updated 6/23. An eternity in the malware world for NOT producing a new variant.

Have the criminals given up?
Did Apple find a way to blacklist their software on a deeper level?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have the criminals given up?
Did Apple find a way to blacklist their software on a deeper level?
You make it sound like that there was a rash of malware from a lot of authors.

We were dealing with a single malware program that was updated a couple of times to circumvent apple's security. The criminals have not given up, because there weren't many of them doing this.

I'm not saying Macs won't be the target of such attacks in the future but a single malware program cannot be considered a rash of attacks

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I'm on a G5 running 10.5.8, and there were no software updates required on my machine. One of the things I was hesitant about when considering adopting the intel chips, very well known by hackers. I guess PPC remained unaffected.:cool:

Yes, absolutely. Of course the old stuff will be more secure because it's old. PC users should all be using Windows ME to stay secure.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.