Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After just five days free of Apple tablet rumors, it has begun again. TechCrunch claims that they have heard that Apple is working on a second larger tablet that will be "much more like a Mac than an iPhone."
But the information we’re hearing is that Apple is thinking much larger for another version of the product, maybe all the way up to the 15.4″ size that it currently uses for one version of the MacBook Pro. If you think that would be way too big for an iPad, we’re also hearing that this other tablet would be quite a bit different from the one revealed last week. Namely, it could run a version of OS X much closer to the traditional version that runs on Macs.
In the wake of the iPad launch, the possibility of Apple also pursuing a Mac OS X-based tablet seems strange. While some iPad detractors have been hoping for a Desktop-OS-on-Tablet experience, variations these products have existed and have simply not gained traction.

TechCrunch claims such a device would be launched within the next year. If true, we'd expect Apple to introduce more multi-touch friendly changes to Mac OS X itself. The rumors of a 22-Inch Touch Screen iMac could well tie in with these rumors.

Article Link: And... Tablet Rumors Revived: Larger Mac-Like Tablet in the Works?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The iPad is a transitional and destructive element. I still think Apple wants to hold off on Touch OS X on a notebook or desktop for some time.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I find it hard to believe that the next version of the Ipad would be that drastic of a change . I would expect more of something like a camera and a slight hardware bump and that would probably be a year down the road.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I reckon perhaps the desktop 22" touchscreen will dual boot Mac OS X and iPhone OS.

A 15" or 17" mobile device will surely use an A4 processor and use iPhone OS and not Mac OS X.

iPhone OS will be renamed this year. It will eventually grow to replace Mac OS X over the coming years.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Oh yeh baby!
Now were cooking with gas.
I know I'm in the minority here bit I can't wait for touch technology on full size Macs.
This would make the iPad like the baby brother and in my mind I can see the bigger picture now developing.
Make it so Steve :D

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Please no, no more tablet rumors. The previous 6 months were already too much.

comradesnarky

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
I...actually believe this. Maybe it's because I find the iPad to be an incredibly underwhelming and crappy product... I just don't think that Steve Jobs or anyone else as Apple expects the iPad to be an incredibly overwhelming success. I was never excited for the tablet, as I've never found the technology appealing, but, I just can't see Steve Jobs being as ecstatic as many people said he was about the iPad. It's an overgrown iPod Touch/iPhone with some new features, and no storage space difference. I think it's a testing the water type product to generate some user feedback to see what they can do for a full fledged product.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Current OS X (or Windows) makes little sense on a tablet—and the same goes for current Mac/Windows apps.

But the idea of something in-between iPad and Mac is interesting at least. As long as it’s not vertically mounted!

I don’t see Apple fragmenting their OS too much though. iPod/iPone/iPad are a single platform up to a point... maybe this new “in between” platform is just a part of the next major OS X.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
daul os

you might have a dual boot os imac 22"--that could switch from touch to leapard with soft boot--i don't think touch is good on a desktop, but apple may think they are redefining everything--interesting--hope its shaped like a big iphone--lol

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I would want an OSX redesigned from the ground up to be touch friendly. Maybe that is the future of the iPhone OS. As of right now I can't see myself buying an iPad because it is so closed in terms of hardware and software. It may have the abilities of a computer but the closed system makes it an iPod variant.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Bring them on.

We need something cool to look forward to after the whole iPod Touch XXL thing..

Surklyn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
" Namely, it could run a version of OS X much closer to the traditional version that runs on Macs."

At what point do you start to piss off developers who now need to develop for 3-4 different platforms. (iPhone, iPad, OS X, OSX/Hybrid)? As interface issues between the iPhone and iPad are slightly different (different screen sizes..they are essentially the same, but different platforms, IMO).

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
God have Mercy... I can't take it any more.

I was hanging out for the last few weeks believing I would be up-lifted and overwhelmed by Apple's release, and instead I am given what I already have, (just a bit larger and quicker).

I can't be hanging on tenterhooks waiting for the "real" tablet that we were all expecting. I can't believe in Apple anymore.

I just can’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.