And the best Halo 3 review is...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Oct 3, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't like Halo single player...multiplayer its the best FPS I've ever played...

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not the biggest fan of halo to say the least. But the single player just feels like i'm doing the same thing over and over and over.

Yes it's well executed, yes it has everything you could want in an fps ? So why does it leave me pretty cold ?

Hate to say this but I prefer Resistance single player campaign. :eek:

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

"Halo 3 is what it took to make me lower my standards." :D :D :D

Yeah, I haven't played H3 yet, but some of his comments are how I felt about the first 2 run-of-the-mill shooters.

<]=)

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

While I'm a big Halo fan and don't agree with everything he said; his style and play on words with pictures is just brilliant.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think it's hilarious how he guy rants about how bad the game is yet he doesn't even experience the full game since he "gives a flying poo about multiplayer" (and therefore probably didn't even give it a shot). Thank you...try again. :rolleyes: On that merit, I hereby pronounce Bioshock as the worst game of the year since I wanted multiplayer and it doesn't have it. [heavy sarcasm]

What's next...Roger Ebert going to start giving thumbs up/thumbs down reviews on movies he only watched the last 10 minutes of? Retarded...:cool:

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The thing is, Halo 1 was pretty revolutionary for both the console FPS and FPSs in general, and Halo 2 has multiplayer and a ranking system that beats many things even today, whereas Halo 3 didn't bring especially much to the table.

As for Yahtzee, love his work, although I preferred Peggle

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But he also complained about the single player issues, or don't they count since he disregarded multiplayer?

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

However, he also said that the story was boring, confused and all over the place, to then admit he'd never even played the other 2, so...

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Zero Punctuation has become the highlight of my week. Yahzee's 'Peggle' review was fantastic.

I love this guy. Anyone who manages to sneak in the Litany Against Fear when doing a Tomb Raider review is about six orders of magnitude more awesome than we deserve.

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Sorry, I don't consider this guy to be a reputable source on game reviews.

Pop culture references...maybe. :p

And no, Jimmi, I'm not discrediting his ranting about single player; again though I find zero credibility in someone who writes off a game and doesn't bother playing the thing all the way through. I bet he played single player for 10 minutes and then went and wrote his review...there's no doubt in my mind that the guy didn't give the game a fair shake. Ranted a lot though...:rolleyes:

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

yes, but mostly No. :eek:

Halo's co-op play was new and vehicles were finally done right, but there was nothing else new or revolutionary about Halo. Golden Eye 64 on the console front had already accomplished great split screen multiplay and was truly a better single player game than Halo. Compared to the PC FPSs at that time, Halo was just an OK overly repetitive shooter.

<]=)

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Or perhaps he doesn't share your taste in games. Although in his defense he's admitted that he typically goes for the throat even concerning games he likes (see Bioshock).

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Maybe you should write him an ask if he played it all of the way through. ;)

The biggest difference between this guy and most other reviewers, is that he has old school gaming under his belt -- the good stuff, so just because he wasn't swoon over by another 'console' FPS clone, doesn't mean he didn't give the game a fair shake. It's just his opinion.

Watch his Psychonauts review, it's freaking hilarious. :D

<]=)

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Right guys, you're right.

He admittedly didn't bother with multiplayer and has not played the first two (yet complained about not knowing what was going on), yet he gave the game a fair shake. :rolleyes:

mmmkay...:confused:

If he said "I didn't like it, it's not my cup of tea, blah blah" that's ok. But he didn't do that; he generally said it was run-of-the-mill and mentioned several "complaints" that aren't really complaints, just his lack of education or, oh I dunno...TRYING. :rolleyes:

Goldeneye007 compared to Halo but Halo didn't innovate? Please. Allow me to introduce a little thing called online play. Not the first console FPS with online play ever, mind you, but the first to do it successfully as well as PCs do. Halo also has CTF and zones, 007 does not.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Did you head out the door and leave your sense of humor at home or something? Zero Punctuation isn't a hard hitting, fair and balanced, I'm-a-journalist-damn-it unbiased source for video game reviews. It's humor. His schtick is making fun of games 'cause praising them just isn't funny. It's like a roast (the event, not the food).

It's just a game, man, no need to take it so seriously. :)

Lethal

18. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Agreed. Don't take him too seriously; he's more of a ranter than a true "reviewer."

19. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The review is meant to entertain, not inform.

So zero2dash, lighten up a little.

20. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah,
    the guy gets views by posting against the grain reviews and attempts at humor. He just rants to get attention. Which is apparently working for him. If you take real reviews from this guy you have problems...To me he gets enough info about the game and lore surrounding the game to put together a little comedy bit about it...sort of taking the moans of forum folk and giving that a release...

Paul

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You guys are certainly assuming quite a bit about him. Yeah, he probably doesn't play the games, that way none of his points are valid. That's nothing more than a convenient excuse! You guys are full of baloney! :)

Just because he's not in LOVE with a game, doesn't mean he didn't play it, or didn't like it. He rips on all of the games he plays, even the ones he really enjoyed like Psychonauts.

And the only grain he's going against are the younger console peeps that worship at the church of Halo. The teenage boys that scream for master chief like a girl at a Beatle's concert. His views are more from a long time PC gamer, so of course these rehashed-games aren't going to really do it for him.

So stop making excuses for the guy just because he's not into all of the fluff that so easily impresses other's these days. I like his reviews! They make me laugh, mainly because his views are that of a long time seasoned PC gamer, not some wide-eyed-everything-is-new-console boy.

<]=)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sheesh, we shouldn't have to explain Yahtzee. :rolleyes: