And The Chaos Begins!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Nov 2, 2017.

1. donster28 macrumors 68000

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

3. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

If you wait in line and have to dump, do you do home or let it roll? Not sure porta potty is a good option

4. balaplus macrumors 6502

You could argue it is all part of the experience for some...
    On the other hand, Apple actively encouraging it this time around shows it needs the publicity!

5. spinstorm macrumors 68000

I never understood the queues outside.

Everyone who is excited enough to queue should have pre-ordered. I accept some people may have missed launch day delivery so they may queue..

But that isn’t the majority of the queue. And the people who queue days in advance? Why?

I know some people say the experience.. but how is waiting outside all night or days an experience.
    You could get your preorder delivered then go join the queue in the day for that experience! Lol

6. ezgoezit macrumors newbie

ezgoezit

I'm guessing most people in line either couldn't pre-order for whatever reason (no/low credit or whatever), or they did pre-order and got a late date and want to get one on launch day and then cancel the late pre-order.

Edit- Maybe not most, but many...

7. donster28, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

There are lots of factors, unfortunately (some of these may be related to others):
    - They don’t have online Apple accounts (especially first timers)
    - They were just lazy to be up and pre-order
    - They tried to pre-order but got a later pick-up/delivery
    - They want a second one
    - They want to sell one or two to make money
    - They are in line for someone else as a good deed or for profit
    - They don’t own any kind of credit card/debit card (most have lots of cash though)
    - And yes, they like the thrill (or fun) of lining up

Correct me if I missed anything. :)

8. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

People who queue overnight for a phone, unless doing it to make money off it, have serious psychological issues.

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

it clearly doesn't need any more publicity

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So do bodybuilders.

When I was a little younger I waited in line once. The came out at 9 when the store opened and broke it to us that there were no phones delivered to that store.:cool:

11. balaplus macrumors 6502

I am tempted to say that it is not about owning the phone itself for a lot of people...
    Years back i queued for Wimbledon - to date I remember the queueing experience rather than the matches!

12. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

Line at Highland Village in Houston on Thursday at 12:35pm
    [​IMG]

13. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I think that’s pretty much it. Humans enjoy reward anticipation - dopamine, mainly - as much as or even more than actual reward. Especially since many real rewards don’t live up to the expectations people form.

I’ve never done it, not excited enough about phones for it to be fun for me, but I imagine that people waiting are kind of riding that anticipation high in a social setting with other people doing the same thing. It’s like going to a concert; if you just wanted to hear music you’d listen to it at home for better audio quality.

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Pretty wild. Everyone thought they wouldn't sell. Reviews have been really positive and all looks good.

15. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

That’s not a bad line, I think. I guess most are just recovering from the Astros World Series win celebrations.

16. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Why do people stand in line where they can order it from the comfort of their home?

17. donster28, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

There are lots of factors, unfortunately (some of these may be related to others):
    - They don’t have online Apple accounts (especially first timers)
    - They were just lazy to be up and pre-order
    - They tried to pre-order but got a later pick-up/delivery
    - They want a second one
    - They want to sell one or two to make money
    - They are in line for someone else as a good deed or for profit
    - They don’t own any kind of credit card/debit card (most have lots of cash though)
    - And yes, they like the thrill (or fun) of lining up

18. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

That's what all the chubby dadbods say to make themselves feel better ;)

Waiting for a once off concert/sporting event is hardly comparable to waiting in a line overnight for a commodity which you can have delivered to you. Springsteen or Federer are not gonna show up at your door in 4 weeks time.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

At the end of the day, you stuck it out and got the trophy you waited for. It's kind of like fishing. Spend hours baiting and waiting and then you get that one big catch that made the day worth it.

That is the best analogy I can come up with, without a sexual overtone, to explain to someone that doesn't "get it".

20. balaplus macrumors 6502

And I am saying even in that case, I remember queueing more than Federer :)

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I waited in line I think twice since my first iPhone in 2012. Never again. Complete waste of time.

For the iPhone 6 I remember waiting over 4 hours, and ended up hating it and returning it a few days later and sticking with my Samsung Galaxy S5.

Pre-order or walk in. Never waiting for me going forward.

22. jo.Lo macrumors member

I've been there on September 22nd during holidays and picked up my AW Series 3 there, I arrived at 8.30am and had to wait 3,5 hours (iphone 8 buyers made the line big).
    Yes, it was a nice experience but I wouldn't do it again. It was more of a spontaneous purchase I decided to do the evening before. I don't know what kind of offer someone would have to make that I would wait overnight (!!) somewhere outside. After this experience I would always prefer pre-ordering or even waiting a few days or weeks longer for my product than lining up for more than one or two hours.

fun fact: at Orchard Rd. store, the Singapore citizens were very civilized waiting in line, it's all the foreigners who tried to skip the line all the time.