And the next Gamecube is...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Haha, again, we're comparing a $199 system to a $499/$599 system. For how much it costs, I'm surprised at how well the PS3 is selling, especially with no real killer app, hence, no games. :eek:

I imagine things will get better for Sony once they have some real games out. They've already lost this holiday season for sure. :p

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not particularly surprising, although it's worth noting that the XBox barely outsold the GameCube.

We'll see in a year from now though.

This thread is unlikely to get anything but flamebait though.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Not really, the 360 is still selling like hotcakes, even better than the Wii I believe and Halo 3 is the fastest selling game in history.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not particularly. The Wii just surpassed the 360 for total sales, and it's been out for half the time.

I don't think anyone is far enough ahead that the others can't catch up though.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I was talking about "month sales" and I think I read somewhere (like half an hour ago) that Xbox360 sales went up by 20% or something like that and surpassed the Wii.

Point is, people are buying consoles for their games and the PS3 is not unsuccessful because its HD, its simply not successful because it doesn't have enough games to warrant a purchase, its still doing good though.

Nothing can beat the Wii on sales with its low price and novelty appeal especially since casual gamers are buying it and the regulars (I don't like the word hardcore) still find their good fix of games like Metroid Prime.

If anything, this is one of the most interesting generation of consoles.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

[​IMG]

Nice one Jimmi :rolleyes:

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That's just merely the halo effect from the release of...:p Anyway, sales are sure to plummet again, next month, since pretty much all the people who wanted Halo already bought it and those who were waiting to buy a 360 for Halo, already bought one by now.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I suppose you also have to count in the HD-DVD add on sales too. Can't say I'm surprised at the apathy for HD video, I'm supposedly in the market and I don't care much for it.

sikkinixx, you should go to the link I posted and say that :) since, well, they're the ones making the "drama"? Other than that you might want to contribute instead of just throwing JPEGs around.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh, well yeah, that's to be expected with Halo 3 this month.
    Lack of games plus high initial price. Microsoft was clever to massively overcharge accessories instead, so perceived value changes.

Definitely. I'll be really curious to see if Sony can rapidly make up ground once they get exclusives out there or not.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Screen Digest made their predictions this morning:
    [​IMG]

Don't judge too much based on this first year. Things can go both ways.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed....never lay its to rest until it at rest. Its been like wha almost a year....maybe a little bit more time should be granted before we start making statment of the likes.

And us DS fans should know all about this.

Bless

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Screen Digest certainly has high hopes for the PS3. I guess they're "assuming" that blue ray-gun thing will help Sony's outcome.

<]=)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

surely thread title should read

"and the next fanboy argument is...." ;):D

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I suppose we have to tread lightly around the Sony players, seems to me they can't accept a system of theirs doing as bad as the Cube. Even I say it was Nintendo's weakest system (it had it's games but Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, Mario 64 and OoT were just better than anything else on the Cube IMO).

Either way, in the first year the Cube had Smash Bros and Rogue Leader.
    The PS3 hasn't got the games but does have HD-video playback and media centre abilities.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Definitely. The DS's first year was total crap; there were almost no games. Lots of ports from GBA or N64 with gimmicky touch screen stuff added on. My DS sat on the shelf quite often.

Wait, I'm a Sony player now?

It launched with Luigi's Mansion as the killer app! Smash Bros was near the end of the year, like the PS3's better games.

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Weird the GameCube was my favourite console last generation, the PS3 my favourite this 1. I really must have bad taste in consoles. :)

Sucks that the PS3 doesn't have games though, I must have missed that memo because I've got a heap of games I play on mine...

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not really; popularity is hardly a measurement of quality.

GameCube was my favorite too, followed by PS2 (mainly because the PS2 didn't have anything good for multiplayer IMHO). The majority of my friends had XBoxes, but they weren't gamers.