And The Not So Great Moderation Continues...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by davidjearly, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I posted this thread in the iPod + iTunes Forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=293938

It got locked within 20 mins. The reason for this? That there is many 'other' ways for members to share their music tastes. Should that mean something to me? It doesn't. There are many places where users can get desktop backgrounds from every month, but that doesn't stop the threads cropping up all the time in the forum.

There are many ways that various things can be done. What was so wrong with my post that it warranted deletion? I hardly think it was going to turn into a war of music. Perhaps the mods should head on over to the Politcal discussion forum and focus their energies there. There is plenty of action if thats what your after.

The bottom line, the quality of moderation is declining. I posted just after my thread above was closed. Guess what? The thread was deleted (not wastelanded) without notice.

This one will probably be deleted too, in an attempt to silence the users who might oppose something.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe the Post Your Top 25 Played thread that is currently active makes your redundant?

Attached Files:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is a private board. you do not have freedom of speech here.

the mods do an excellent job here. this is one of the best run boards i've ever seen and been a part of.

if you have an issue, don't make a public spectacle out of it, PM a mod/god and discuss your concerns. don't cause drama where none is needed.

4. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are ways on this site for people to share musical taste - DailyTunes recommendations and already countless threads for specific genres etc

The mods here have a thankless unpaid job to keep this forum pleasant for the majority of users.

If you do oppose something so strongly, perhaps it's time for you to start up your forum where you can set the rules and perhaps understand some of the less obvious reasons why moderating is so tough. Not everyone enjoys the same sandbox...

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pipe down peasant! :rolleyes:

7. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Er, when you are not causing offence, freedom of speech exists everywhere.

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I fixed your post for you.

9. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I already acknowledged this in my OP. That doesn't mean there aren't other ways things can be done.

Yes, and that is all well and good. However, my post doesn't make the forum any less pleasant or lead to cause any arguments.

I do run my own forum. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to post here.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

pot meet kettle

no. this is a privately owned site. you agreed to the terms and conditions and to abide by the rules when you signed up. you do not have any freedom or 'rights' here. using this site is a 'privilege'

11. mpw Guest

I agree they all do wonderful work, really great work, they're fantastic people too, all clever and good-looking, wise, sensual, attractive, well-spoken, immaculately turned out, strong, flexible, fair and just........except that jsw.

Careful, you don't want to get it soggy.

12. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The thread was moved into the moderators forum so that your complaint could be discussed.

As PlaceofDis said, if you wish to enquire about a moderator decision your best course of action is to PM the moderator in question, or, if you would like to complain about a decision you may PM one of the 'gods' who deal with any complaints about moderation. Doctor Q is usually the one online most often and would be the best person to PM.

Posting public threads rarely gets the issue resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.