And the wait continues...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gnrredphoenix, Jul 25, 2012.

1. gnrredphoenix macrumors member

So it's mountain lion day and unfortunately no imacs have arrived... Although this was expected, it seems like all signs continue to now point to a fall release.

I'm pretty pissed I'm still stuck with my dying 2007 macbook pro, but I think I'm going to try to hold off until fall, but thats my final straw.

It seems like Apple has at least semi-convinced people that something is in the works, but I feel like if a new imac isnt here by october many people are going to jump ship, including myself.

2. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

3. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

What exactly do you do that is so vital that you must have the 2012 iMac versus the capable 2011 iMac?

4. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

I can only speak for myself but i have a very hard time justifying paying full price for tech that is over 449 days old. Now if there were a discount on the "new" in the box 2011, well thats a different story all together. We all know that isn't the case.
    Would you pay full price sticker for a 2011 model automobile if performance was enhanced and there were new features to be added on a soon to be released 2012 model? That is of course dependent on if there actually will be a 2012 model. My bet is that there will not be an iMac release will much later this year if not 2013.

Now if my work machine was down and I needed something NOW well again different story. i would stand to lose more money not buying what is currently available. In which case I would buy a refurb and call it a day.

5. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

The difference between buying a iMac at full price vs a car that is a leftover are to different things. If the new model year of cara didn't not come out yet you would still be paying full price. Same thing with the iMac. Sure newer tech came out but it's not available in the iMac yet. That is why your still paying full price for one. When the new iMacs come out the price will drop just like leftover cars

James

6. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

VFX. Any boost is good.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Dealerships have been clearing out 2012 cars at discounts since the beginning of June in preparation for the 2013 models coming in September..

8. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

^ what forty2j said.

9. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Thank God we have another thread with nothing new to add to keep us going in the meantime!

10. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I think OP is just venting steam. I'm waiting for the refreshed Mac Mini myself. I sold my Hackintosh to a friend who needed the computer more than I did, so I'm using an old Dell (running Ubuntu Linux) as my desktop computer. It's working fine, but it ain't no Mac! :D

11. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I don't think what the OP is saying is unreasonable. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been waiting for the new iMac to come out since last year. I thought if I waited a few more months, it will come out but alas, still no luck. If I lose patience and buy one now and in 2 months, the new one comes out, I think i'll break the iMac out of anger :mad: so I continue to wait...IFFF it doesnt come out by end of this year, I think I'm going to switch over to PC for good :p

12. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

I must avoid grossly overpaying for outdated hardware, that's what.

I'm giving it until tomorrow just to rule out a Mac Mini spec bump, and then I'm going to grab either a refurb 2011 Mini, since the haircut on that is so small overall, or a 2012 Macbook Air to use essentially as a desktop in full expectation that I'll resell it when the iMac finally does come out at WWDC 2013 or whenever the hell it finally does.

13. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Did the 2011 iMac come out the day after lion's release? :/

14. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

The 2011 Macbook Air and Mac Mini did. In fact depending on how you count it, they came out the same day.

15. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

^ Exactly what I did, bought a 13" 2012 Air.

I know 2011 will suite me very well but that's not the point. I want the latest knowing that I will be spending the same amount.

16. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Exactly. Even if it doesn't come out right away, if I have to wait a couple months to get the latest one, I would wait. Especially if I'm gonna be spending over a grand on it. And because technology changes so fast, last year's stuff will quickly become outdated.

17. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Because its hard to buy something that you know in a couple of months it won't be the latest nor the greatest. And probably the ones that did buy will mourn not waiting a bit more. It happened to me. Its just human nature.

18. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

No, that's not it at all, so don't jump to incorrect conclusions. It's hard to buy something that you know NOW is a TERRIBLE VALUE based on the going rate for comparable hardware on the market. That's it, plain and simple.

19. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

There is a thunderbolt hub that can add USB 3 to the current iMacs.... so unless you sit around with friends and run benchmark programs daily then I'd say 60% -70% (or more) of the people here will not notice any speed difference.

A 200-$300 hub is cheaper than $2000 for a 2012 iMac whenever it comes out and..... you can have that now.

20. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Definitely. Difference between a 2011 iMac and a newer iMac is going to be the same for almost 90% of potential customers in my opinion.

21. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

im sure apple will have something great for us waiting for the new imac. think about this would you rather have a 2012 imac with the same design, screen etc. or you rather wait three more months get the same internal expected but with bran new deisgn and probably better screen or reduced glare glass? in my opinion (even though im so pissed and apple should have planned out this better) i rather wait three months and get something bran new refresh new style overall better. i know the wait sucks donkey balls but at this point theres not too much we can do besides paying for 2011 components in 2012 which i really really dont recomend. so apple will have something good for us this fall. hopefully.....

22. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

For me, and for many, it's all about the upgraded video card (GPU).

Faster processors or the ability to go from way too much RAM (16 gigs) to way way too much ram (like 32 gigs) wont really make a difference for 99% of people, even though everyone likes to think they are the 1% that would benefit.

The GPU, however, is THE bottleneck in performance for games. The expected 680M is much, much more powerful than the 6970M, which is currently in there. You can't upgrade it and you're stuck with it forever. Since this GPU performance leap is notably greater than the usual yearly refresh, I'd feel stupid buying now because I intend to game on this thing on occasion.

The difference of the 6970 vs 680M means playing the most demanding games a few years from now at high settings, versus having to start turning down the resolution and detail settings almost immediately.

This is why I wait.

(and yes, there are better gaming machines out there, bla bla bla, but I have the cashola and a preference on the design - I need it to fit a look in a room.)

23. jon9091 macrumors member

Hmmm...my guess is that you may get a reduced-glare screen, and updated processor of course, but you'll be missing the optical drive and the there's a chance the memory and HD could be soldered onto the logic board....all for the sake of a slightly thinner side-vew. That's why I bought a few weeks ago.

I genuinely think that the new iMac could be a recipe for a let down.

24. Geordiekeith macrumors member

Cost

I am waiting because I want to include a 256 GB SSD as well as a 1TB ATA drive, and that would cost me an extra $600 from Apple, whereas 256 GB SSD's are now available for about $200. The $600 may have been a fair price 450 days ago, but now now.