and Verizon said they were ready

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edrodriguez951, Jan 11, 2011.

1. edrodriguez951 macrumors newbie

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Website downtime? Are you kidding me? Could very well be GoDaddy's fault, not Verizon's. The real test would be how well their network (I repeat network) withstands. :rolleyes:

3. edrodriguez951 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, but it is how ATT always starts. It will be interesting to see.

4. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

There is some merit to this. If Feb 3rd rolls around and customers can't pre-order because the website is down, you'll hear all kinds of complaints! The mighty Big Red will start to receive some of the angst AT&T has had to deal with.

While it is true the proof is in the networks ability to handle the onslaught of iPhone users, the first real test is how smoothly Verizon can handle the massive orders and then, accommodate new user activations on launch day.

I'm sticking with AT&T because I need GSM capability. I'm happy for our Verizon brothers and sisters! Glad they are coming into the fold. This is a win/win for everyone.

6. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

The simple fact is, there's few websites that can handle such a massive load. The technology just isn't there yet.

Apple was down during iPhone4 pre-orders. Amazon.com went down the day they introduced those christmas slick deals (on a first come order basis). If a site with as much redundancy as Amazon can go down because of customers, you bet your ass that Verizon can also do the same.

7. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Even on a normal day their website is always very slow for me. When browsing the phone selection it always takes 10+ seconds, it is pathetic.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

9. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

Typical flawed internet reasoning

I suppose when it happens to Apple its a positive thing ?

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This. There's no point adding more massive redundancy than they have for the 2 or 3 days a year they have excess traffic.

Wait till the iPhone actually launches before making sweeping statements...

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I almost feel Verizon should off load all that work on to Apple. Apple is the one who has the fan boys that are nuts and on release date. No one else gets the insane following. As such Apple I feel should bare the brunt of the spike.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And the complaining about Verizon has begun....

The honeymoon didn't even last 24 hours.

13. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Spike of internet traffic causing a website to experience server load issues?

shocking

what correlation does this have with Verizon's wireless towers again?

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I chuckled.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The OP does make a loose point that perhaps Verizon will be subject to the same troubles AT&T experienced. If the iPhone 4 launch on Verizon is anywhere near as big as iDay's during the summer, they very well may see trouble on their activation servers and the like.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Give Verizon the same amount of iPhone users AT&T has and you'll have the same problem. The iPhone obviously outpaced AT&T's expectations. Verizon may handle it better because people now have two options and therefore won't all drive to one place, but I wouldn't be shocked at a few spots of trouble. I'm personally glad the exclusivity is over so I can get some of the riff raff off the AT&T network.

17. jacollins macrumors 6502a

AT&T and Apple were both down on the i4 pre-release too. So? I imagine Verizon's site will have issues as well when their pre-orders open (and that's just to current customers). That could actually be a good reason for having two release dates, to spread the load a bit.

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I think it's almost guaranteed that pre-orders will knock out Verizon's website. Just look at Apple's track record for taking down websites. Apple has taken down AT&T's website (and numerous other carrier's websites), it's own servers, and even FedEx. I'd say Verizon's downtime is almost guaranteed.

19. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Hehehe. :)