And why can't Apple have this easy feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clint1583, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

I tend to be a magnet at finding lost Smart Phones, usually iPhones. Recently on vacation I found 2, one in the international terminal at Reagan International and the other on a train in Italy. I was luckily able to find both owners and saved them a lot of headache and a vacation. Prior to that I can't count how many phones I've gotten back to owners.

So yesterday for the first time I find this brand new Samsung Galaxy model in a mall, luckily I'm like the one in a million honest person to find it. Not knowing how I'm going to find the owner, plus never having used a Galaxy before, I hit the power button on the phone and a small marquee scrolls across the screen with the persons name and email address.

I quickly send an email to the person from my iPhone and like magic I get a call from the person who lost her phone! Why in the world can't Apple offer this simple screen marquee in order to help people with lost phones? I've searched my iPhone for such a feature (including an app) and can't find anything like it. I realize that iPhones have a "Find my phone" feature but that's only so good.

2. eyoungren, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. t76turbo macrumors regular

I wish I jailbroke my phones. That is a nice feature.

My wife modifies the background photos she uses on her lock screen to include text that says if found, call (my wifes name) at (our home phone number).

But I would rather be able to use any wallpaper and have that button as an option.

4. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

It may not be as apparent to a non apple user who finds the phone but you can ask Siri who's phone it is. She will give the contact card of the owner.

Edit: also under the medical ID (if set up) it has the contact info of your emergency contact. Mine shows my wife's phone number. Definitely not as user friendly as the scrolling information noted above.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Provided the owner has Siri enabled and not Voice Control.

6. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

Yes. It definitely isn't the most foolproof way to communicate the owners info. A native "if found" function would be a lot better.

7. E3BK, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I always wondered why there wasn't something more proactive than Find My iPhone. Don't get me wrong, FMiP has saved me a couple of times but having the info already there rather than waiting until I realized I didn't have my phone and/or could get to a computer would have been great. I just add text to the lock screen wallpaper now though. It doesn't take long to do. But I agree there could be better implementation. I'd love for it to have ICE info available also.

8. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

That's a feature across all Android phones. Its sort of buried deep in the settings but its nice to have.

Maybe we need to post this somewhere so Apple can add this down the line. I'll gladly sign a petition.

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Not the same but if the phone is lost and you enable "find my iphone", you can have a custom message scroll along with a number to call. But yes, this is a nice feature to have.

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

No need to wait on someone else to get things started, just send feedback with a feature request.

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I guess
    That or you are masterful at the art of pickpocketing. :)

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I totally forgot this was available to set in the Health app. Thanks for posting. Apple should really make more of an effort to pub this. I also think it would be better served if it showed up when you swipe left rather than being somewhat buried. In an emergency, there's no guarantee that whoever finds my unconscious body is an iPhone expert who knows all the little hidden things. A grim thought but well, that's what ICE is for.

13. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

My iPhone has "If found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" on the home screen and its not jailbroken. I just used the free LockInfo app that embeds your message in an image, and then you just make that your lock screen image. Pretty simple.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Usually when people lose their phone they call it. All you have to do is answer it.

15. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I installed this and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Are you including Lost Mode? It allows you to show a custom message and phone number on the lock screen and a button to tap and call it.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Futz with the sliders. That's the one irritating thing about this tweak. You think it should be right and it's not, it's showing off the screen.

Also, did you install the Lite version or the full version?

My understanding is that the full version does not work.

2015-12-14 20.01.27.png 2015-12-14 20.01.40.png

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Thanks; I'll try again soon. It was the Lite version, btw.

19. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

The suggestion I made doesn't require a jailbreak.