Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THD1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Do I upgrade from my 6, yes 6yr old pc's for my practice to new iMacs, AND get the current year tax write off? Or do I wait until the new iMacs are out. I don't need the latest and greatest video, just looking for something to replace my old dell pc's. I am considering the 20" iMac's, each with 4GB ram.

Also, I can get 6mo interest free if the purchase is made prior to dec 31st. Not a deal breaker to miss out on, but definitely an enticement.

So in summary, do I buy the iMacs and get the section 179 deduction (always like to save on taxes) and 6mos interest free, or wait it out for the new models to debut - whenever?

Thanking all in advance,
Todd

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
if it's a 2008 tax write-off you're interested in, you could buy Apple gift cards in the amount of your expected purchase, and then use them to purchase the newer computer in a month.

(frankly, I'd shop the refurbished store for an outright cost savings over a tax deduction)

THD1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I had not considered the refurbished shop. Tremendous savings, and I still get the tax deduction - nice.

Cheers,
Todd

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
Do I upgrade from my 6, yes 6yr old pc's for my practice to new iMacs, AND get the current year tax write off? Or do I wait until the new iMacs are out. I don't need the latest and greatest video, just looking for something to replace my old dell pc's. I am considering the 20" iMac's, each with 4GB ram.

Also, I can get 6mo interest free if the purchase is made prior to dec 31st. Not a deal breaker to miss out on, but definitely an enticement.

So in summary, do I buy the iMacs and get the section 179 deduction (always like to save on taxes) and 6mos interest free, or wait it out for the new models to debut - whenever?

Thanking all in advance,
Todd

Buy now. Save your receipt. Return for the new iMac that's coming out in January :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.