And yet another buy before year end question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by THD1, Dec 24, 2008.

1. THD1 macrumors newbie

Do I upgrade from my 6, yes 6yr old pc's for my practice to new iMacs, AND get the current year tax write off? Or do I wait until the new iMacs are out. I don't need the latest and greatest video, just looking for something to replace my old dell pc's. I am considering the 20" iMac's, each with 4GB ram.

Also, I can get 6mo interest free if the purchase is made prior to dec 31st. Not a deal breaker to miss out on, but definitely an enticement.

So in summary, do I buy the iMacs and get the section 179 deduction (always like to save on taxes) and 6mos interest free, or wait it out for the new models to debut - whenever?

Thanking all in advance,
    Todd

2. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

if it's a 2008 tax write-off you're interested in, you could buy Apple gift cards in the amount of your expected purchase, and then use them to purchase the newer computer in a month.

(frankly, I'd shop the refurbished store for an outright cost savings over a tax deduction)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy the iMacs for the write-off if it's of such great importance to you, don't open them, return for an exchange before January 9th.

4. THD1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I had not considered the refurbished shop. Tremendous savings, and I still get the tax deduction - nice.

Cheers,
    Todd

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Buy now. Save your receipt. Return for the new iMac that's coming out in January :)