Android and iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G.T., Jun 12, 2010.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Is there a free solution to sync iCal to an android phone?

Thanks

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Can't you just setup iCal on your Mac to sync to your Google account, which would sync to your Android phone? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but google list a few issues. And I have not actually been successful in getting them to sync properly.

It would be easier to just sync direct without having to get iCal to sync with google calendar then sync my phone no google calendar.

Suppose I use my iPod for now.

4. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have seen but like I say I want a free alternative. Syncing your calendar should be a free and easy things to do on all platforms. I love apple and their iPhone/iPod touch but they should support a few more mobile OS's for syncing.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Generally speaking, it's the phone manufacturer that writes the software for third-party phone syncing, not the Folks that wrote the OS.

Plug an iPhone, Palm or BlackBerry into Windows and it won't sync. Install the sync software that Apple, Palm and RIM wrote for their phones for Windows, and then the phones sync.

In that regards, I think that it's Google that should write the sync software for OS X. Unfortunately, it looks like googles sync strategy is "cloud-based", not "directly to a computer based". :confused:

6. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree, I was thinking more about who its up to and yes its phone companies but google will want people to use their calendar is there anything stopping apple writing support. Android is becoming increasingly popular and if apple supported palm, android etc natively for sync with ical and others like itunes and address book would it not make it easier for people to make the decision to switch.