android and iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 827freddy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. 827freddy macrumors newbie

why do the androids screen colors look more vibrant than the iphones?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. aohus macrumors 68000

depends on screen technology.

LG, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp, and others make their own screens. Chalk it up with them to find out the difference.

FYI, LG supplies Apple with their screens.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Android is a software

iPhone is a hardware

Your question should either be "Android vs iOS Screens" or "Samsung Galaxy S II (or any phone) vs iPhone 4 screen"

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Android = mobile operating system (aka software)
    iPhone = mobile handset (aka hardware)

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

What the previous 2 posters said.

Hardware is not software.

That said I really am impressed by my friend's Galaxy S II screen.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Many, not all, Android phones use (Super) AMOLED screens.

While an LCD screen blocks/filters a white light source to display colors, an OLED is made up of active color emitting points.

E.g. to display red, LCD is like holding a red cloth over a white flashlight. OLED is a red light itself, thus will seem more vibrant.

Additonally, since an OLED point is a light source, when it's turned off it is totally black. A black LCD point must try to block all light, but will still pass some of its background light source (which is why some will dim their light source in large dark areas to try for more black).

There are saturation and power advantages and disadvantages to both methods. I am typing in bed so will leave those to others.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That was an awesome response.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The Samsung Galaxy S II is an AWESOME smartphone.

As much as I enjoy mine as compared to my iP4, I know Apples capable of better.

Yet that said we won't see it till iPhone 6, therefore I'm skipping iP5.

10. HangmanSwingset macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

Naw man, Aliens.

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

While it may be true that AMOLED-equipped phones have more 'vibrant' displays, the iPhone 4 probably has the most colour-accurate/natural-looking display at the moment.

AMOLED displays tend to over-saturate colours, which is partly a marketing technique; a lot of people are drawn towards a prettier display, despite it being inaccurate.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    According to these test results, the Droid X and HTC EVO had more accurate colors than the iPhone 4.

If I recall, later iPhone 4 inventory might've had the color saturation changed for the better.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Are you trying to start havoc into these forums?

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

This.

LG supplies screens for Apple and others can have better technolgy for it. This is no different than comparing different cameras on a phone. Carl Zeiss provides for Nokia and Omnivision provided it for the previous iPhones and now are using Sony's.

15. potermark macrumors newbie

A few bugs and performance issues remain, too, so while the phone will be usable, it won't be fast. If you do something unexpected (such as forcing the iPhone off), there is a small chance that you may end up restoring your device. However, it is impossible for any bugs to brick or disable your iPhone permanently.

Finally, media syncing is not working, so loading your media onto your phone is kind of a pain. I'm working as hard as I can, though, and I expect to fix these issues soon.
    Required Reading

Start by brushing up on the fundamentals of iPhone maintenance: how to get your iPhone into Recovery Mode, how to put it into DFU Mode, and how to perform a firmware restore from those modes.

The iPhone is a well-engineered device, and it is virtually impossible to brick if you know these techniques. If all else fails, remember that you can always restore using DFU Mode.

You'll also need to be reasonably comfortable working in a command-line interface, and unless you're confident in trying to compile your own binaries, you'll need a PC running Linux (or a Linux virtual machine).

16. EspressoQueen macrumors member

Nuh Uh

You're both wrong. Zombies. :eek: