Android App 'weMessage' Lets You Get iMessages on Your Android Smartphone With a Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There's no official way to get iMessages on a non-iOS device like an Android smartphone, but a new Android app aims to provide a workaround, at least temporarily. weMessage is designed to allow you to get iMessages on an Android device, but for it to work, a Mac is required.

weMessage uses a weServer app on a Mac, which takes iMessages that are delivered to a Mac and forwards them to an Android smartphone or tablet. As described by the developer on reddit, the weServer app acts as a bridge between a Mac and an Android device, using Accessibility features to tap into Apple's Messages app for the Mac.

weMessage works by using Apple's developer tools that hook into the Messages app, as well as by turning on Accessibility features that will perform the message sending. There was zero reverse engineering involved in the creation of this app, so all messages being sent are legitimate. In addition, I believe this implementation is fair, as you still need to have an Apple device to use iMessage, but it is merely being extended to all devices.
According to the developer, all iMessage features are supported, including group chats, attachments, notifications, Do Not Disturb, content blocking, and more, with notifications enabled by sending messages to the Google Firebase platform.

Unfortunately, while this appears to be a solid attempt at routing iMessages to an Android device based on reddit comments, this is not an app that's likely to last. Similar apps and methods of forwarding iMessages to Android devices have popped up in the past, but have been shut down by Apple.

It's likely Apple will require the developer to shutter the app, and it may soon be removed from the Google Play Store, but in the meantime, it's available for any Android users who also have a Mac and want to experiment with iMessage.

There have been rumors suggesting Apple has considered an iMessage app for Android devices, and Apple even reportedly created detailed mockups of what such an app might look like, but there has not been concrete evidence that an Android iMessage app has ever been in the works.

Apple execs are said to believe that iMessage, as a "superior messaging platform," helps to spur iPhone, iPad, and Mac sales, suggesting iMessage is not likely to expand beyond Apple's devices anytime soon.

The developer behind weMessage was originally charging $2.99, but it's now available to download for free.

Article Link: Android App 'weMessage' Lets You Get iMessages on Your Android Smartphone With a Mac

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Wasn't iMessages supposed to end up an open standard and they failed to bother, or am I thinking of something else?

Ken Linger

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Those of us who have been messaging for 20 years will probably notice that Apple is in the place AOL was back in the 90s.

That is, AOL had AOL Instant Messenger (AIM - just recently shutdown) which was THE standard for instant messaging for both AOL users and non-users alike. Competitors came around (Yahoo, MSN Messenger, etc.) and everyone complained that AIM wasn't open to integration. You had to run each messenger as a separate app but eventually, some of the smaller players integrated their's with each other. AOL did not and there was no API for 3rd parties to use in a universal communicator. Other communicators were better, feature-wise, but most of the world was using AIM. When asked "why not?" they had some lame excuse like "complexity." (translation - what do WE get out of it?)

Only after AOL started losing marketshare in droves did they begin to allow others to integrate. By then, anyone with an @aol.com address was the laughing stock of the Internet and the biggest use was for an aggregator like Trillian, Pidgin, etc. to allow messages to Grandma who still swore AOL = Internet.

Right now, Apple is in the "What do WE get out of it?" stage.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Not worth. Also, you have to keep your Mac on (not asleep) at all times to do this, right? I've dealt with using my Mac as a server in the past and am not going back there.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Those of us who have been messaging for 20 years will probably notice that Apple is in the place AOL was back in the 90s.

That is, AOL had AOL Instant Messenger (AIM - just recently shutdown) which was THE standard for instant messaging for both AOL users and non-users alike. Competitors came around (Yahoo, MSN Messenger, etc.) and everyone complained that AIM wasn't open to integration. You had to run each messenger as a separate app but eventually, some of the smaller players integrated their's with each other. AOL did not and there was no API for 3rd parties to use in a universal communicator. Other communicators were better, feature-wise, but most of the world was using AIM. When asked "why not?" they had some lame excuse like "complexity." (translation - what do WE get out of it?)

Only after AOL started losing marketshare in droves did they begin to allow others to integrate. By then, anyone with an @aol.com address was the laughing stock of the Internet and the biggest use was for an aggregator like Trillian, Pidgin, etc. to allow messages to Grandma who still swore AOL = Internet.

Exactly. People want to communicate across borders and artificial boundaries and will always find a way to do so. Closed platforms, protocols and applications never stand a chance against open standards.

Would anybody accept it if an iPhone could only call other iPhones?

Sasparilla

macrumors 65832
Jul 6, 2012
Interesting - only for experimentors and dedicated hobbyists who want this. Sad Apple hasn't chosen to make iMessage multiplatform - they're really blowing their chance to make it a multi-platform standard (fear of losing lock-in isn't a good reason to not do it).

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
So the Mac needs to stay on in order to receive iMessages on the android? If so this is D.O.A.
I haven’t turned off either my iMac or my Mac Mini for any period of time (other than extended power outages or rearranging my office) since I bought them. My headless Mac Mini is set to never sleep.
[doublepost=1513174981][/doublepost]

Yep, I would use iMessage if there was an Android app. 5 Macs, 3 iPads and a Google Pixel... Apple should be happy with two out of three platforms. I wouldn’t sub to Apple Music if they didn’t have an Android app and I can’t and won’t switch back to an iPhone for multiple work and personal reasons.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I didn't buy an iPhone for iMessage that's for sure. The fact that it doesn't work on some of my friends and coworkers devices hardly makes it "superior". That's just Apple drinking it's own Kool Aid yet again.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I haven’t turned off either my iMac or my Mac Mini for any period of time (other than extended power outages or rearranging my office) since I bought them. My headless Mac Mini is set to never sleep.
[doublepost=1513174981][/doublepost]
That crossed my mind, and I have a windows server that has been running for years, but what percentage of Macs are laptops? More importantly what percentage of Macs out there are not laptops that people leave on, that are also android users that also care about getting iMessage on their android. The demographic suddenly shrinks.
[doublepost=1513175793][/doublepost]That is the beauty of iMessage is that when using on an iPhone automatically switches to a text message if user isn’t on an Apple device.

Not defending Apple, but that have pretty good coverage for that matter.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2008
Whatever wins will have to be cross-platform. Whatsapp and *insert the name here of similar services* are and a reason why iMessage sucks.

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Unless an Android app and web based or PC version of imessage get released I avoid it like the plague. I have to keep using whatsapp which is technically not the best messaging app but everyone uses it. If whatsapp could let you back up on a drive on ios other than icloud and have backups work on both Android and ios then it would be about as good as it gets. Pretty annoying if you like switching platforms all the time.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Tim cook looks around the office and thinks, everyone around me has imessages, I guess everyone in the world does as well!

The people around me with iphones keep dwindling. I can't remember anyone converting to iphones. I see existing lots of Apple users upgrading, but never any new converts, just people getting sweet Androids and using google now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.