Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Apple Music section so mods feel free to move if it's an issue.

Before I go and buy a huge SD Card for my S7 Edge to store my music I thought I should ask if the SD Card feature on the Android version of Apple Music that copies your downloaded music off the internal storage and over to the SD Card requires the SD Card to be setup as the newer Android Adoptable Storage format (which Samsung doesn't support on the S7) or does the older Portable Storage format work with the Apple Music app also?

Thanks

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Well first of all it's not the android version of apple anything. It's Google Music. It doesn't need the sd card in adoptible format. Just a regular sd card format and then change the settings in Google music to store downloads there.

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the Apple Music section so mods feel free to move if it's an issue.

Before I go and buy a huge SD Card for my S7 Edge to store my music I thought I should ask if the SD Card feature on the Android version of Apple Music that copies your downloaded music off the internal storage and over to the SD Card requires the SD Card to be setup as the newer Android Adoptable Storage format (which Samsung doesn't support on the S7) or does the older Portable Storage format work with the Apple Music app also?

Thanks

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well first of all it's not the android version of apple anything. It's Google Music. It doesn't need the sd card in adoptible format. Just a regular sd card format and then change the settings in Google music to store downloads there.

Well, Apple Music is on Android and I think he's referring to that app.

Sorry OP, Google Play Music user here on both iOS and Android, never used Apple Music on Android.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It was updated in Feb to add SD card support OP.

To enable

• Open Apple Music, slide out the Menu and tap on Settings.
  • Just below the Download on Wi-Fi toggle will be a new option called Download Location
  • Select SD Card from the list of options.
  • Accept the prompt when asked if you want to move all of your currently downloaded music, along with any future music to your SD card.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It was updated in Feb to add SD card support OP.

To enable

• Open Apple Music, slide out the Menu and tap on Settings.
  • Just below the Download on Wi-Fi toggle will be a new option called Download Location
  • Select SD Card from the list of options.
  • Accept the prompt when asked if you want to move all of your currently downloaded music, along with any future music to your SD card.
Thanks! I didn't ask but it had slipped my mind to even set this up properly.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.