Android Apps

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nviz22, Jun 29, 2016.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Why are some apps, like Snapchat, noticeably worse on Android than iOS? Don't devs want to make $ on both platforms, especially since Android is the majority global smartphone OS?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Because Android applications are programmed on Java.

3. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

How is snapchat worse on Android than on iOS?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Bc devs don't make money on Adndroid apps (iOS users spend 4x as much on apps as Android users do).

Furthermore, making apps for a much more fragmented ecosystem is a much greater hassle (ensuring it works with half a dozen versions of Android and dozens of manufacturers and skins on top of that).

5. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

You should define what you mean by worse. Is it slow, ugly? if you don't like it, did you leave a comment to the author? this has nothing to do with Android in general.

6. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

Less video and picture quality, not as many filters with Android.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2016 ---
    Hangouts is better on iOS than android. Snapchat has better photo and video quality along with more filters.

7. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

it's still not Android's fault. Why don't you contact the developer? Some developers focus on Android, some on iOS.

8. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

It can be considered Google's fault for allowing their own apps to be better on iOS, allowing fragmentation to grow so much, etc.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well, Android can partially be to blame if the developing environment is less favorable vs. iOS. And to be clear, I'm not a developer so I won't begin to claim understanding of the developing environment but there has to be reasons why in so many instances devs go iOS first even though Android has so many more users.

10. nfl46, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

nfl46 macrumors 603

I have my 6S and 5X side by side right now, and the apps look significantly better on iOS. Android needs to be strict on their developers. At this point in time, we shouldn't have any pixelated icons...and yes, we could change the icon in Android, but that's beside the point.

11. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Many disagree with you. Snapchat iOS version gets a low 2.5 star rating while Android version is 4 stars.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snapchat/id447188370

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snapchat.android

And, how is iOS Hangouts better when you can't even set it as the default for calls and SMS? Hangouts is my default dialer and SMS over LTE or WIFI so unlimited free calls and SMS within North America. It works and is reliable so I don't care about the imaginary petty differences.

12. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

nah.. it's still the developer responsibility to use good fonts/images/etc... a missing filter is not Android's fault. I program for both and the reason iOS is so popular is the fact that in the Apple ecosystem, people are used to pay for their stuff. There is plenty of piracy on Windows/Android.

13. Frisco macrumors 68020

The same argument could be made of MacOS vs Windows. Windows has always been fragmented with so many different manufactures, self-built PCs, Dell adding their own software garbage, etc., yet developers have always chosen to develop for Windows first and many times Windows only. A lot of Mac apps are inferior to their Windows counterpart or are simply ported.

So why is Apple OS vs Windows development the total opposite of iOS vs Android?

14. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Because developing for Windows is quicker, with more profit that developing for OSX.

Developing for Android takes approx 30% longer than IOS with less profit for the time it takes. Not worth it in many cases. Between crappy Java and the time/profit issue, Google is looking to dump the Android Java code for Apple's open source Swift programming language.

15. Frisco macrumors 68020