Android based tablets, ipad etc

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by b0blndsy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I just read somewhere that this year we can see launch of Android based Ipads. I am worried will it be a threat to Apple ipad as Android is really growing fast in the phone market as compared to iphone.

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The tablet market is not limited - there's plenty of room for more companies to enter the market without putting a dent in apple's sales figures. Marketshare? It'll be impossible to REALLY determine in the future, much like the MP3 player market.

How would they realistically do a survey of how much marketshare the ipod has these days? There's thousands of generic MP3 players (made by at least 10-15 random Chinese manufacturers) on the market, likewise about as many cellphones.

I think at the end of the day, most market share figures are pulled out of thin air and presented by large media outlets to excite the stock market.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The GalaxyTab is already here and has been for sale in my local PC store(s) and the vodaphone shop for a while.

[​IMG]

They look nice. I don't need one though,

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's wrong with Apple having some competition? :rolleyes:

5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I think it is great for Apple to have some competition. This will ultimately lead to better Apple products (hopefully).

I have had the chance to check out some Android based products and have to say that while the hardware seems nice, overall I was not that impressed with the overall user "experience". Compared to Apple products usage was just not as smooth.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe he's taken a bite of the AAPL? ;)

7. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Notion Ink's Adam is the Android tablet I'm getting. It was finally introduced at CES last week and is garnering rave reviews. I would much prefer it over the iPad.

8. b0blndsy thread starter macrumors 6502

ha ha nothing wrong with Apple getting some competition but I wonder when the competitor is google. Google is going to be a threat to all majot companies, this company is virtually entering all the fields.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Good, I hope they continue to be a threat and force Apple to improve their products.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Of course I love the extra competition for Apple, and while they have done a good jump with improving great devices its because in these large markets, even if they have a great device, there is room to grow, so updating hardware/software often serves to sell more devices.

I'm excited to see what HP has to offer with WebOS, because IMO thats on of the best mobile OSes. I'm so impressed with Google's efforts with Android 3.0. They clearly understand they need to bring their A game for tables(simply porting Android to smartphone wasn't enough). I'm also excited to see what MS brings with Windows 8. I think there is a market for Windows on tablets, at least in some places, but the ability of hardware makers to use Intel chips sorta force the tablets to be larger then is ideal. ARM support is one of their better moves as far as I can tell(although supporting x86 and ARM will be difficult, I'm excited to see how well they do it)

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Android on tablets in 2011 will be simply another choice for the consumer alongside Blackberry QNX, MeeGo, WebOS even Windows and of course iOS on iPad2.

I'm looking forward to the offerings from all platforms. Its going to be a good year for anyone looking into getting a tablet with something for everyone! :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm most interested in the Blackberry and Notion Ink tablets.

I don't want an iPad at all. iOS is just too dumbed down, and not capable enough. There's a difference between "simple to use", and "dumbed down". I consider OS X simple to use, but powerful and very capable. iOS is the best mobile OS for people who are afraid of technology. For me, it's not even user friendly.

13. b0blndsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah competition is not too bad I see in the end, Customer will benefit from this.

14. abraham.a macrumors newbie

Hi all, I joined newly this forum. Wanted to know about much about the discussion on this block. Could any person tell me briefly...?

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

16. b0blndsy thread starter macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forum. This discussion is mainly on Competition Apple may get from Andriod in both tablet and mobile market.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the Honeycomb based tablets have promise, but only seeing videos of them from CES, means we'll have to wait and see before judging them.

Windows based tablets; I'm not sure sure about this. They appear to be running the full version of windows but its running on an Atom based CPU. Seems like performance will be rather pokey. I mean if you ever used a netbook with an atom processor, it was no speed demon.

I was actually hoping for more from windows camp. I picked up an iPad because marriage between the software and hardware. The A4 is plenty powerful, iOS gives a good balance between functionality and performance. If mircosoft was going to use the full version of windows, I was hoping for a little better spec wise.