Android BIG phone fans, what will we miss?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marine0816, Sep 14, 2014.

?

What will you miss in your BIG Android phone?

1. Multi window

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Removable Battery

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  3. True multitasking

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. More ram

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Another stupid poll?

49 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I have the Note 2, brilliant phone but I'm not a fanboy with any camp, I tend to switch/try something new every few years. This year I will give apple another try, since they disappointed me with the iPhone 5. There is certain things I will miss my note for though, I'm certain they will have me looking again when the note 6 comes out. What will you miss in your "too big phone"?

Android Pros

1. Multi window
    2. No tab browser refreshes
    3. Apps with little restrictions
    4. Removing battery(had to buy a jackery pack for the iPhone plus)
    5. True multitasking
    6. More ram

iPhone Plus pros

1. fingerprint scanner
    2. Does music better (iTunes)
    3. Takes better pictures
    4. Apple better customer service, AppleCare
    5. Promised ios updates
    6. Works with my Apple TV

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

1. Faster performance
    2. Lack of malware
    3. You didnt have to buy a jackery pack. The 6/6+ lasts a full day or more on one charge.
    4. Apple Pay

3. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

The removable battery is one of the few things I'll miss. No matter how great the battery is, at some point, I'll use it up. It was nice to be able to just throw in a different one.

4. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Power user here. If it was a 4,000 mah battery I would still run through it,

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. Cryates macrumors 65816

iOS has it

7. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, real live wallpapers. Not that dynamic stuff. Like this. With real rolling waves and sounds.

Attached Files:

9. uchosen macrumors 6502

I'm not getting rid of my big Android phone but I'll play along. Live wallpapers and I do like me some wireless charging.

10. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I'm going to miss the awesome looking emoji icons (the ones on the iPhone 5s looks absolutely terrible in comparison), memory card support, being able to easily copy and play videos, the sexy voice for the GPS app (I think it's Samsung specific) and all the apps I purchased.

What I won't miss are the stupid AT&T apps that I can't uninstall, the dumb GPS antenna that seems to activate whenever it pleases and often keeps the GPS from working, the bloated Touchwiz interface, useless extra features that have been tacked on just for the sake of being there (air views, eye scrolling and etc) and the extremely slow Android updates.

11. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Wireless charging is a good one, but the main reason I used it was because the plug design was so wonky. It was very difficult to plug a s5 in in the dark. It's much easier with the iPhone. I'll still miss it though.

12. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I had to make something for the BIG phones haters, hahahahaah

[​IMG]

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I am going to be very happy with the plus.

But, the extra ram is nice. The LG G3 I just sold had 3 gb of ram. Webpages very, very rarely refreshed (like after leaving them stagnate for a day), and apps switched instantly.

14. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Well that's kind of your fault letting people troll your thread...

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's funny, I'm not knocking you for wanting that but to me that is just annoying and distracting and more of a minus than a plus (and probably something that drains a little more battery life).

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Perhaps. But it annoys me it's not a CHOICE I can make. Like widgets, or font sizes, or all the other customization goodies Android provides. It's the one thing that annoys me about iOS.

17. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My sentiments exactly. Neat to see or show off, but practically it sounds like a battery hog without much payoff. The little motion you can do on iOS 7 was enough of a resource hog that I turned it off on my 4s.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, but I'd rather be the one choosing and not have that choice imposed upon me.

20. Cryates macrumors 65816

Who would actually want their wallpaper to make sounds? That seems terrible lol

21. GummiBjorn macrumors member

1. Transfer files freely from other computers, cellphones (except.. iPhone ofc lol) and other portable storage devices like USB sticks and harddrives. With iPhone, I will be stuck with iTunes on one single computer. Maybe some movies need to be converted as in the old days? Haven't used iPhone since the 4 so not sure...

2. Torrenting.

3. Access to files on the phone.

4. Multi-window.

5. S-Pen

6. AMOLED... those deep blacks and vibrant colors. Not so much the "white" colors which were awful.

but... I will be getting a tablet to fulfill those needs. On my phone what I require is speed, a good camera and an operating system that works and doesn't glitch, lag or freeze.. It doesn't hurt that there are better apps optimized for the iPhone unlike Android where the apps aren't optimized for all of the hundreds of different devices..

22. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Apple pay is nice.. But I had it on my Galaxy S3 in 2012. Called Google Wallet. I don't count NFC payments as a pro on either side since both have it now.

23. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The brief time I used android I liked:

- haptic feedback
    - notification lights
    - user swappable battery
    - better car Bluetooth integration
    - capacitive buttons
    - better data measuring / management tool
    - ability to download files and media direct from web and unzip, move, etc..
    - attach files from device in web forms and such
    - profiles and NFC tags

Those the things that come to mind. I'd say swype but that's coming

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

25. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

1. My current Note 3 is as fast/faster than my wife's 5S on most tasks. I have no doubt that Note 4 will not be any slower than iPhone 6/6 Plus. Days of iPhone being noticeably snappier are well past us on modern hardware.

2. While theoretically you are right, in practice it's a non-issue. This isn't Windows vs OS X.

3. That's actually my biggest concern with the 6 Plus - how will the battery life compare to Note 3/4. My Note is a batter monster, easily lasting a couple of days if I'm not using it non-stop. My wife has to keep charging her 5S more often, while not using it as much.

4. I'm sold on the concept, as Google Wallet has been a major fail so far. Let's hope Apple Pay works as advertised.

My list of pros/cons, and why I ended up ordering 6 Plus:

Android Phablet Pros
    1. Battery life, including ability to carry extra one (to be seen how 6 Plus performs)

2. RAM - I'm a heavy Chrome on Android user, and Note 3 is great in that respect. My wife's iPad Mini with Retina (yes, she's Apple all the way!) reloads tabs to a point that I get frustrated any time I sit down with it, and end up surfing on my Note 3.

3. S-Pen - I'm not a fanatic, but I do use it occasionally, as it comes in handy for PDF annotation, and quick notes, etc. I'll miss it at those times.

4. Kindle app - I read a ton of books on my phone, and being able to purchase books straight from the app is just convenient. Not a deal breaker, but one of those things that can annoy on iOS.

iPhone Phablet Pros
    1. iOS - iOS 8 looks great, and is still the best mobile OS on the planet. 2nd biggest reason for me to be back to Apple.

2. Camera - really looking forward to high-quality optics, great slow-mo, and overall photo/video handling.

3. iMessage - it's probably the biggest day-to-day item I've been missing since giving up an iPhone. There is just no better messaging ecosystem IMHO.

4. LCD screen - Since I read a lot of books, and good portion of that time is in bed, an LCD screen is better since it can be dimmed better than the SuperAMOLED on my Note 3. Probably my biggest pet peeve with the Note.

Looking forward to using an iPhone sized for my needs!