Android coming to Verizon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tilpots, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Google phone system coming to Verizon

Game Changer?

2. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

might be for me. I'll see how good the GUI is

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

That's a pretty sweet looking phone.

I'm locked into Verizon for another few months. Was going to get the iPhone, but Verizon's network is 10 times better than ATT's. Hopefully they'll be some really nice incentives with the new Android phones to stay at Verizon...

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ At our house a iPhone is as useful as an iPod Touch with a camera.

Maybe verizon will finally get a smartphone worth buying. Hopefully the iPhone is next.

I hope so. I just wish those data plans weren't so expensive

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The flood gates are really going to open over the next year for Android. It's coming out on all sorts of devices, and they're not just phones.

Version 1.6 "Donut" is just being released to existing devices (OTA no less, no plugging it in necessary) and new devices will be shipping with it.

It has universal search of local data and the internet, it can also run on practically any resolution display, so manufacturers really can build pretty much whatever they like.

Check it out: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-1.6-highlights.html

7. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

^^ Binging Android to Verizon will really open the market up for Google. As the development of the apps for Android continue, more and more people will find there is a true competitor the the iPhone.

Lots of people, myself included, already use Google for much of their online experience. Some will find the move to a mobile platform that they're already familiar with much easier than a move to a Apple platform, at least that's what I think they'll believe without previous experience.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Lets hope that it will finally have some hardware to run on that doesn't completely suck. Lets face it, the current Android handsets can't handle the Android OS at all. They are all laggy, unresponsive, and overall a bad experience.

There is a reason why nearly everyone who supports Android says this: "Android has potential." Yeah, it has potential. Heck, I have potential, but that doesn't mean its going to become anything amazing.

Though I do like what HTC did with the Dream, the Android modifications they made are stunning. The Hero runs the first good modification of Android that has lots of social networking integration (facebook widgets, twitter widgets, facebook contact sync, facebook phonebook, etc). If it ran smooth I would be all over it.

Give me Android with the speed of the 3GS and the on screen keyboard of the 3GS as well as the Hero UI and I will immediately buy.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think your comparison makes any sense. Android really does have potential, and the potential is about to be fulfilled as the growing number of handsets/devices shows. There's a 1Ghz model on the horizon, how's that for you?

I agree that the speed of the hardware to date hasn't made the most of the software, but it is a certainty that the hardware speed will improve.

What's more because anyone can make these devices you will be able to get Android the way you want it, not how Apple decide to tell you to have it. You want a physical keyboard, you can have one. You want an on screen keyboard, you can have one. You want a good camera, you can pick the one with the best. You will have the choice, that's important.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Those same EXACT THINGS are promoted for windows mobile and other phones for years. "Potential" features do not equal to usability.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Usability is already there, the hardware just isn't quite fast enough to make it as enjoyable as it should be. The software is there, it will constantly be improved upon, and the hardware is just around the corner.

Windows Mobile is about as close to Android as the iPhone OS is.

12. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

But none of those other phones or OSes are open like Android, so "potential" is a big deal. Take Flash, for instance. You won't see it in the iPhone anytime soon, but you will on Android. The "potential" will = usability. Just like the when the iPhone started out, the usability came as the potential was fulfilled by developers.

13. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I want the G1, not just the Android os... T.T

Put both on Verizon, make customer service better and I'll gladly stay.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they make a decent phone to go with it I will buy one (no at&t here ARRR)

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

17. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

This is friggin' awesome news. DO WANT Snapdragon processor.

19. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

it is. in the press photos the verizon ceo was actually holding one.

the rumored htc dragon will likely meet your demands.