Android Device Manager Now Available

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Assault, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Assault macrumors 6502a

Assault

Basically, "Where's my Droid" is now available for all Android devices on Android 2.2+.

This new option is not in your phone/tablet settings. It is in the new "Google Settings" app. Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Click it and then at the bottom of the list, you will see the new setting for "Android Device Manager". Click on it to enable Where's my Droid and Remote Wipe. Both can be located via a normal PC by going to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and then log in with your Google Account info.

If your phone is on mute, this will still turn the ringer on, so it can be located if you lost it in your house or car. You can also remote wipe if stolen/lost. However, if the device is in a "shielded" area (say a safe, hospital, government classified area), it can't be located and this feature is useless!

But, it does work! It may take a few minutes to lock on to your location, but when it does activate, the geo-location data is accurate, to within 10 feet in my case (assuming you have good gps signal). If you have poor signal, the geo-location data can suck as in over a square mile (3 kilometers) in area.

2. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I tried it yesterday with my Android devices. It worked on both my Galaxy S3 running JB and Transformer running ICS. It did not completely work on my Desire Z running GB. I can find the location of my phone, but I do not have the option to remotely wipe it.