Android device on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by steffi, Nov 11, 2014.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So how powerful is the experience of using an Android device on a Mac?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

There is an Android File Transfer app I used when I first got my Nexus tablet to transfer data, otherwise I can't think of anything that can't be shared the via the cloud. It mostly ends up being OS X app sharing data with a Google service sharing data with an Android app. It's probably at least at par with Windows + Android or Linux + Android but the OS X Apps are richer than their counterparts.

OS X + iOS offer the best related experience by a long shot. The only exception that comes to mind is iCloud mail has crappy spam filtering, so now I forward iCloud mail to Gmail and only access Gmail from devices. Gmail takes care of the spam quite well.

3. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

I just use Google services (Gmail, Drive etc) and have Pushbullet and Hangouts extensions (I use Chrome as my browser with the Material Theme) for incoming calls, IM and Texts.

I haven't used a cable for absolutely anything since I stopped using my iphone. Only time my macs see a cable is when I'm having issue with one of the ipads.

4. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Also for the experience of continuity, I used the AirDroid app on my phone.

5. Heavy Fluid macrumors 6502

Gmail, Drive, Android File Transfer, and that is all I need. Chrome on both the phone and the Mac mini so everything just works. Haven't seen a need to use anything else.