Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Google Messages app on Android devices may soon start showing iMessage reactions as emoji characters instead of text, according to some digging done by 9to5Google.

General-Apps-Messages.jpg

In the Messages app on iOS and Mac devices, users can add a reaction like a heart, thumbs up, thumbs down, a laugh, a question mark, or an exclamation, all of which show up as annotations to an iMessage. These reactions can also be used on "green bubble" messages from Android users, but Android doesn't interpret them correctly and it can lead to awkwardness.

If you heart a message on an iPhone, for example, a fellow iPhone user will see a little heart on the message. On Android, though, when you heart a message it shows it in text: [Person] "Loved" and then the text of the message. This is true of all of the iMessages reactions, Google turns them into text in a way that looks weird, especially if Android users aren't aware of iMessage reactions.

9to5Google looked at the code in the latest beta update to Google Messages and discovered that rather than showing iMessage reactions as text, Google Messages may soon translate them into emoji, which would be a much better solution for Android users.

"Show iPhone reactions as emoji," reads a line of the code, under the "ios_reaction_classification."
For now, it's not clear exactly how this "classification" would work, but one would imagine Google Messages would spot incoming messages that start with something like "Liked" and try to match it to a previous message. Once it's figured out what message is being reacted to, perhaps Google Message will hide the incoming iMessage fallback and instead show an emoji under the original message.

That said, iMessage has a different set of reactions than currently offered by Google Messages in RCS chats. Google may be accounting for this, as there is mention in the code of "mapping" the iMessage reactions, possibly mapping to the set of reactions available in Google Messages today, or perhaps just mapping to various emoji.
Displaying an emoji for an iMessage reaction could avoid some of the awkwardness in interactions between iOS and Android users going forward, should Google ultimately decide to implement this change.

Article Link: Android Devices May Soon Show iMessage Reactions as Emoji

Last edited:

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Google could’ve done this a long time ago but instead waited for the frustration to pent up between Android and iMessage users to implement a fix, further fueling the war rather than making things compatible. Just like they refused to adopt Apple UI design standards and went with their now-dead Material Design. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s their mode of operation.

Apple barely cares about Android but Google has some serious passive aggressive tendencies when dealing with Apple.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Apple should ditch their unbelievably limited proprietary reactions and just use regular emojis anyways.
I do like Discord's reactions but the frequently used is never accurate, I use ✅ all the time and I have to search or scroll every time I want to reuse

• Disagree
Reactions: msp3

Apple$

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
Finally! I won't have to see the following:
"Jane laughed at the following message". ???

Reactions: progx

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I really wish Apple would just work with Google to come up with a better solution to replace SMS. If they don't like RCS, fine, but this is something that affects their own users. It's not like I'm going to stop messaging my friends with Android phones, I just want the experience to be better (even if only on my end).

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Apple should ditch their unbelievably limited proprietary reactions and just use regular emojis anyways.
If its a group message, and I like an image sent a couple of days ago it'll show up as a current message and it'll look like I responded to the last message.

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014

The Google Messages app on Android devices may soon start showing iMessage reactions as emoji characters instead of text, according to some digging done by 9to5Google.

General-Apps-Messages.jpg

In the Messages app on iOS and Mac devices, users can add a reaction like a heart, thumbs up, thumbs down, a laugh, a question mark, or an exclamation, all of which show up as annotations to an iMessage. These reactions can also be used on "green bubble" messages from Android users, but Android doesn't interpret them correctly and it can lead to awkwardness.

If you heart a message on an iPhone, for example, a fellow iPhone user will see a little heart on the message. On Android, though, when you heart a message it shows it in text: [Person] "Loved" and then the text of the message. This is true of all of the iMessages reactions, Google turns them into text in a way that looks weird, especially if Android users aren't aware of iMessage reactions.

9to5Google looked at the code in the latest beta update to Google Messages and discovered that rather than showing iMessage reactions as text, Google Messages may soon translate them into emoji, which would be a much better solution for Android users.

"Show iPhone reactions as emoji," reads a line of the code, under the "ios_reaction_classification."Displaying an emoji for an iMessage reaction could avoid some of the awkwardness in interactions between iOS and Android users going forward, should Google ultimately decide to implement this change.

Article Link: Android Devices May Soon Show iMessage Reactions as Emoji
Now Tim Cook has accomplished something! He is been very innovative in bringing Emoji to the forefront of innovation while Tesla and other companies are innovative something else.

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
> This is true of all of the iMessages reactions, Google turns them into text in a way that looks weird

Not really accurate. iPhones themselves send the "weird" text fallback when using SMS rather than iMessage, since the protocol doesn't support reactions. You'll see them in iMessage on older versions of iOS, too (presumably handled by Apple's server).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.