Android file transferring on OS X, what's everyone using?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by AutoUnion39, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Anyone else find Android File Transfer to be complete junk?

I plug my phone in and the computer just freezes for a few seconds, while the app loads.

App itself is horribly buggy and crashes when I try to get many files on and off.

Is there any other program?

I find myself just booting into Windows7 to transfer large files these days because it works seamlessly.

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I don't have the crash problems, but I did disable the autostart feature so that it does not run when I plug the phone in.

3. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

That's what I use with my Mac and Nexus 7, haven't had too many issues.

4. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Have you got Kies installed also. IIRC, Android file transfer wont work if you do. :)

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I just plug it in and use Finder or ADB, but I don't have a device that needs the AFT. Even though you can't see the drives on your Mac, the ADB still works (you have to install the Android SDK though). Just set it up to use in development mode (they all have it), and then you can push a folder or whatever with:

Code:
    adb push blahblahblah /sdcard/
    Better than SSH or AirDroid anyway.

6. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Nope. Kies on OS X is trash also.

7. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Gotta agree. :)

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Samsung phones in my experience are the hardest to use with iOS and those are the Android phones that I've used the most. Airdroid has always worked perfectly for me so I use that or I pull out my micro sd card and plug it up directly to my MacBook Air with an sd card adapter.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually all mac to android syncing software regardless of manufacturer seems to be utter tosh. It's probably the biggest bugbear for Android using mac owners.

I had hoped Google would offer a better universal syncing solution for macs like Microsoft offers with Windows Phone Connect. It works with all windows phones regardless of manufacturer / brand. It would be cool if Google offered the same rather than the rather poor Android File Transfer and the terrible manufacturer software solutions.

10. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Why did they get rid of just the file system popping up as any other memory card? That was so easy.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Dropbox.

Android File Transfer is unreliable, I find, for larger transfers.

12. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I have AFD but keep it disabled till I want to use (only use it for transferring very large files).

Most of the time I use Airdroid. I use Airdroid a lot for texting, from my mac, as well.

Michael

13. mathi-vadhanan macrumors member

mathi-vadhanan

TBH, I never felt the need to connect phone to my MBA, after switching to Android.
    I connect to my network hard drive, which holds all my media via ES-File Explorer. Prior to that I used, SwiFTP on phone and Filezilla on MBA, to transfer stuff wirelessly. Cutting cord with PC was the main reason, I switched to android.

14. Explicitic macrumors 6502

ADB. I prefer it over 'Android File Transfer'.

From time to time, I also upload files to my NAS and just download it from there on my phone.

15. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I use iSyncr. It works flawlessly at syncing my iTunes library.

16. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I have experienced no issues so far with Android File Transfer.

When I don't have a cable with me I use Airdroid to transfer the files from a browser over wifi. Works really nice (even tho it is not as fast) and it also allows you to do many other things with your phone.

Kies is terrible Samsung bloatware imo.