Android Froyo beats iphone in brower test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foxnews1, May 24, 2010.

1. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, well, let's try the test again when the fourth-gen iPhone comes out. ;)

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

wasn't the nexus one faster than the 3gs before froyo anyway, given the 1ghz processor?

4. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

guys, this is a brower test, not how fast cpu runs. cpu is not the bottle neck here.

5. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What do you think processes the data the browser downloads?

7. BaronStein macrumors regular

"If you see a stylus or a task manager, they blew it" Steve

and I'm adding something to this:

"If you see a task manager while browsing the web, they blew it even worse"

That's why the Android fails. They put some feature on their newest version as a tool for competitive advantage, but it is either half or crippled.

What is the purpose to put flash on the so called fastest browser in a mobile device if it is going to slow down the device drastically? Or what is the purpose of promoting the device as very fast while it is actually not on a full load?

That's the problem, as long as the android is not complete as iphone OS or as long as the flash is a resource hog and something that is not suitable for a mobile device, google and adobe going to fail. Either this way or that, "They're going to see it all eventually"..

8. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think a 620Mhz ARM can render text and pictures easilly. There are no video decode to process here.

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I would disagree. Rendering the page is all on the CPU and since the processors on phones aren't all that great, the CPU makes a big difference. I can tell by trying to load pages on my first-gen iPhone compared to my friend's 3GS. He can surf Safari on the same WiFi network much faster.

Once the fourth-gen iPhone releases, I would be shocked if the iPhone doesn't beat Android in speed tests.

10. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphone can't play flash video, and you call it "complete"?

even if you play html 5 video on iphone, it would slow down the phone. any video decodes comsume alot of processing power and slow down significantly, wether it is html 5 or flash.

11. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

New phone beats year old phone in something, fascinating developments.

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

100% correct. It is indeed up to the consumer to choose the phone he or she wants. In fact, the customer is the only one who really matters. So chill out, let them buy an iPhone if they want, and don't take it personally.

13. BaronStein macrumors regular

By saying "complete" I mean something that does the things that it is promoted for well. In other words, how well the feature is performed. Flash is a feature in Android, but it practically sucks, slows down the phone, makes you even restart it etc. In an iPhone, there is no feature as Flash, therefore it doesn't have the problems that Android has while having flash because it doesn't have!

So to say, being complete is something that not doing the thing that you are not able to do well. For instance, if you don't know how to fly an airplane, you should not promote yourself as a pilot. Or, if you crash every car that you drive, you should not say that you are a driver.

So, even if you own the fastest car in the world, if you don't know how to drive a car, or if you are going to crash it eventually, there is no point in owning that car. Just like the Android. If you have flash but you just can't use it, or in a way that it is miserably slow, then there is no point of having it..

edit: the slowest html5 video is faster than the fastest flash video on a mobile device.

14. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Yea don't get why people can't figure that out. Newer hardware, newer version of webkit, and people expect it to be slower?

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The Nexus is running a 1ghz processor so the real comparison would be with an iPad which it beats out anyway. OS4 doesn't really seem to have brought much of a performance boost to the current models so I don't think the iPhone OS is going to beat Froyo anytime soon.

16. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

If you see wires, they blew it.

Oh wait, iPhone 4.0 still sync/backup with wires? ;)

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'd actually be surprised if OS4.0 beat Froyo (Froyo without flash that is), it looks pretty damn quick. Admittedly I know little about the intricacies of browsers and OSs but from the 4.0 beta (yes, I'm aware that it's a beta) it doesn't seem like they've done a whole hell of a lot in terms of speed. Froyo is said to speed up all the phones it runs on significantly, where as OS4.0 just cuts features for old phones to keep it running smoothly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

18. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

iphone OS 4 multitask looks very much like task manager, horizontal list of icons instead of vertical list. oh, except background app freeze instead of running in parallel.

you want real multitask? check webOS. defenitely not OS 4.

You can't have flash video because Steve said so.
    wait, you can't have wifi sync because Steve said so.
    wait, you can't go anywhere except AT&T because Steve said so.

just pay the premium price Steve asks and he will decide what you can have or can not have.

19. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

The problem is with the webkit version, it's like comparing Chrome 4 or 5 against Safari 4 that's nearly a year old. Jump the Mobile Safari to the latest webkit/nitro, and it might be similar to Froyo's webkit browser.

My guess is that Jobs will announce the fifth version of Safari at WWDC and we'll start to see that on the iPhoneOS in a new beta after WWDC. It's strange we haven't seen any info from the beta tests about the Safari itself.

21. rkswat macrumors regular

This entire post is bs..... Steve doesn't make you do anything, YOU do. Don't like what the phone has to offer, go to a different phone. Simple concept that many including yourself seem to have a hard time grasping.

Would I like the option to have flash on iPhone, for sure. I however don't bitch about something I knew the phone didn't have when I bought it because it's MY fault my phone doesn't have it. (because I bought the phone)

22. macbug macrumors newbie

macbug

Exactly.

I don't understand why people are so upset over this - It's not like you're being forced to buy an iPhone, or any Apple product for that matter.

Grab yourselves a Driod and go bitch on the Android forums about how Flash slows browsing down too much when it's enabled.

23. foxnews1 thread starter macrumors 6502

you don't understand?

We discuss flaws for consumer awareness and for product owner to improve. competition makes better and cheaper products. competition creates this kind of discussion.

this is exactly why this forum exists.

so you expect all people come here just to say "iphone is the best" and "I love everything about my iphone" and "iphone is perfect and needs no further improvement" and "I don't care about other phones since iphone is perfect in cost and spec"

if iphone is everything you ever wanted, why come here? why even waste time discussing anything here? Since everything is perfect.

you want this forum to discuss like those ONLY?

24. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Yes.

iPhone is the best no matter what the competition does. ;)