Android Honeycomb First Shots (will be on phones and tablets sometime next year)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Dec 6, 2010.

1. aohus, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

Andy Rubin gave demo of Android's next generation OS slated to come out 'sometime next year.' From Engadget

The tablet he is holding is most likely the Motorola Stingray/Everest which would have the following specs:

Video of Honeycomb on Motorola Stingray Tablet

-Tegra 2 3D processor
    - Front facing camera
    - Video chat (a la FaceTime)
    - Dual Core Processor
    - Running Honeycomb Android

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Android is a direct competitor to iOS. Unsurprisingly it looks similar to iOS.

4. ad2435 macrumors member

it is always nice to see what else is out there. please dont live your life under a rock with blinders on.

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The widgets make the desktop more like a computer desktop instead of a simple program launcher like iOS.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Yes there is. But why not just go over to android forums and post this stuff?

7. rikbrown macrumors regular

It's nice to see what the competition is doing. Competition drives innovation :)

8. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

This is iPhone forum and it's not iOS vs Android Forum. IT clearly said talk about iPhones. Op only posted info on Honeycomb info. Good job.

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Good to see Honeycomb will be aimed more at tablets. This is why the Galaxy Tab is rubbish, even Google said Froyo isn't fully supported for tablets.

Good to see next year we'll be seeing better Android tablets.

11. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

its going to have phenomenal battery life. its dual core solely to conserve battery consumption. dual core doesn't mean 2 ghz speeds. it means lower voltages, less CPU utilization, and more.

its going to have a tegra 2 processor.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You're essentially going to be able to play heavy graphical games like Dungeon Defender with barely a hit on battery life.

[​IMG]

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

:p

Very excited about Tegra 2, next gen Snapdragons at 28 nm, dual-core, way better battery life, 3D glass-free screens, QNX, Meego, PlayStation games, and so on. iOS, Android, webOS, and WP7 will be getting better too. Each company is strategically trying to remain on top or stage some dramatic comeback. Putting their chess pieces in place for the next generation. Everybody is competing and everybody is in a rumble. At some point, iOS or Android may be the most popular, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. I think WP7 outclasses them in some way and who know's what QNX will bring to the BB world? The future looks bright in the tech world. :cool:

13. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

The things that I like about android that I would like on the iPad's OS:

- Maps 3D perspective thing.
    - Live wallpapers
    - Widgets on the home screen.
    - The home screen on 3.0 looked like a desktop; especially the pop up menus and shortcuts. Also, android has three "screens," Lock, home and apps. iOS only has lock and apps. I think having a "home screen" will make the iPad seem more like a desktop.

- Currently, the iPad is because iOS is optimised and so are the apps in the app store, compared to 2.2 tablets. However, when 3.0 comes out, the UI will be almost the same on the iPad and android 3.0. (apart from widgets, live wallpapers etc.) Therefore, I think that Apple have to introduce apps, like iMovie, iPhoto that can edit and Adobe could add Photoshop and After Effects, to steer "in-between" people to iOS. Obviously, with the iPad's power, they could implement: greenscreen removal, content aware etc.

Android 3.0, looks as if it's going to be like iOS on the iPad; however, with a few neat touches, "home screen", widgets, desktop-like style.

14. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i think the impression of power that so many people get is actually because ios is so light weight. the cpu in an ipad isn't all that powerful, and is about the same power as cpus being used in other smartphones today. it's just that ios has been cut so lean that it feels so much more powerful.

15. smithjohnson159 macrumors newbie

16. jbro1999 macrumors regular

Then if anything it should be in the iPad forum?

17. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Honeycomb will be on phones as well.

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It...does?

19. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

this looks nothing like iOS. and thank God.

it looks more like windows media center fused with googleTV than anything else. btw, loving that voice search button in the UI.

And the new unlock mechanism. You can unlock any which way, instead of left to right, which was the case on almost all phones in the past.
    [​IMG]

20. daneoni, Dec 7, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It doesn't? I know you're Android fans but come on.

Grid of icons

[​IMG]

...and because i know you'll argue "that's the menu launcher"...

Mail interface

[​IMG]

It may not be a direct clone but there are some similarities...as always.

21. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

uh, apple invented a 'grid of icons?' what are you going to say next? that Apple invented the smartphone?

Hey look! Apple copied Microsoft with their grid of icons!

[​IMG]

That looks to me like any other Mail Client out there.

Hey look! Apple copied Microsoft Outlook UI!

[​IMG]

22. daneoni, Dec 7, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

*sigh*...this argument is getting old, and i never said Apple invented anything.

Also, really?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again...really?

Btw EVEN Rubin acknowledged that their approach is similar to Apple's after Walt called him out a few times during the demo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm already tired of arguing so; fine, you win...i was wrong. There are no similarities. None whatsoever.

23. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Its more like, the statement that a 'grid of icons' means you're 'copying Apple' is getting old and tiring.

grid of icons is not copying Apple. Grid of icons have been around since the birth of GUI software.

and yes, Apple's iPad mail client can be said the same with reference to Outlook for microsoft, sans the toolbar menus/buttons.

24. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Which is my cue as the old engineer to jump in with a little history about unlock gestures, for those who are interested :)

Back around the turn of the century (I've always wanted to say that about the year 2000), people wanted an easy way to secure and unlock their handheld touchscreen devices without punching numbers. Thus was born the gesture unlocker.

A small industry sprang up selling pattern-based device security software, especially for Palm OS and Windows Mobile devices. (A couple of those companies still survive today in the handheld security field.)

Coincidentally in 2002, an all-touch WinMo-based smartphone called the Neonode N1 was shown with a simple left-to-right swipe-to-unlock gesture built-in. It also used swipes to move between pages. (Note its icon grid, btw.)

More than a few research papers were published about the best patterns to use to prevent others from figuring out your unlock code. Unfortunately, it soon became apparent from real life tests, that finger grease often left a perfect track on the screen for any information thief to follow. Oops!

Thus the swipe-to-unlock gesture faded from the scene, because it wasn't considered secure enough.

Jump forward to 2007 and the iPhone. Apple used the Neonode-like concept of a simple, repeatable unlock swipe. They smartly threw out the idea of it being about security, and actually drew the path for the user to take, along with a thumb progress indicator.

Because swipes had always had a security intent before, actually drawing the path to take was a novel feature, and Apple got a patent on a single-line version. (Frankly, I don't know how that got a patent, since any programmer told to do a swipe unlock with a visible help path would've come up with very similar items.)

Anyway, now you know. Swipe-to-unlock is over a decade old on handhelds, but the visible path is much newer.

25. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I'm disappointed. I thought they were going to come up with something innovative. This is just copy pasta straight from iOS, as they've done with Android in general. And, as always, it will probably be a sluggish pile of garbage.

I'm not convinced.