Android: iOS Beta testing ground?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blinny83, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Blinny83 macrumors member

I'm so sick of Android fans talking about iOS 5 "stealing" features from Android. In my opinion, Apple takes the best of Android, and makes it WORK. Elegantly and without a lot of extra work by the end user. So, as a former frustrated Android user, it seems to me that Google is just providing a beta testing ground for Apple's superior structure and unified hardware/software infrastructure. Thoughts?

2. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its better to just ignore the fanboys on both sides and just be happy with what you've got

3. Blinny83 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. Obviously preaching to the choir in an apple-centric forum. Just an interesting dynamic. Using your rival as a trial community.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well the notifications stuff works fine on Android, and actually it also has the ability to clear all notifications, something that iOS is lacking.

All of the camera features Apple seems to have copied have been working just fine on my Windows Phone 7 for months.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a former android user and a current iOS user. I'm not entirely sold that "Apple takes the best of Android, and makes it WORK. Elegantly and without a lot of extra work by the end user"

From what I've seen its no more elegant then what I've used in android and to be honest it looks more like a bolt on feature that lacks the same level of polish and integration as other features of iOS.

6. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Bingo!

In Android you actually move the status bar itself, in iOS it appears out of nowhere, like magic. Bolt on indeed.

7. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Boy, this thread isn't asking for a pissing contest is it? :rolleyes:

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I also have an opinion. Rabbarabbablablablabla.

KnowwhatImeanbro?

9. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Does it really matter that much? They are both amazing pieces of software, you use what you prefer.

I've tried both and in my opinion iOS is superior.

10. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

iBoys still talking... The only thing you say is: "It just works". Another stupid phrase Steve Jobs put into your brains. Just like "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" *********.

I'm sorry but Android has worked just fine for years. And calling the worst beta ever "working" is ignorance. But hey, maybe the OP has traveled to the future and tested out final iOS 5.

Such an annoying thread...

11. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Wasteland please? This is an iPhone forum, but the immature bashing is going to just start ridiculous arguments.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Im tired of Android user not thanking Apple every day for their very existence.

What do you think would happen if Apple just stopped making stuff? The whole industry would just take a big sigh of relief and not innovate anything for like 10 more years.

Show some respect for reality and the profoundly revolutionary evolution of the smartphone as dictated by Apple.

People would show Android users more respect if they didn't act like were NOT all y'all daddies in the smartphone game.

Show respect (or at least proper context) to get respect.

When an Android users demonstrates the proper perspective in a discussion I will take them more serious.

13. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

The dropdown notification works on iOS.
    The dropdown notification works on Android.

As an Android and iOS 5 beta user, they are both perfectly usable. I've not yet experienced anythingive needed from either system.

OP, what is broken in Android's notification system that is fixed in iOS5?

14. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Fanboys are bad everywhere.

Anyways, android is android, iOS is iOS. For me iOS third party app support is more important than android's customization options. Also i like my devices to last longer under heavy usage.

On the other hand android handsets/tablets have the capability to play wide variety of media formats just like my windows laptop (ahem :p) about which iOS is very strict, don't know why.

So after trying both while i re-bought the iPhone 4 because i couldn't hold out, I am looking forward to WP7 as a better alternative to both. It has the strict standard set like iOS while giving hardware options as well as ability to play more formats through zune. Just lacks apps right now that I use but hopefully that will come very fast. A windows 8 tablet and a WP7 handset would probably talk way nicer with my dell Windows 7 laptop and allow me to develop software for it without buying extra hardware :)

Here's something i actually like about my co-worker friend. Some other guy asked him why he's supporting an N8 while there is better phones. His response: because I like it. Cannot get any simpler than that.

If you like it it is good. End of story. All the reviews, bashing and opinions in the world don't mean anything. If you didn't like it you would move on to something else.

15. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

That made absolutely no sense..... and that whole "profoundly revolutionary evolution" made even less sense...

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Then read it again.

It's not the words that don't make sense but rather that point when your brain reads the words and matriculates a thought that is the weak link.

I see Android users getting more and more irresponsible with their boasts and claims and they have a complete disregard for the reality of iOS's place in the pantheons of legendary greatness.

Respect iOS. It is your father.

17. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

First just because a word sounds good doesn't mean you should MISUSE it. It makes your statements such as the one I'm quoting now, not make sense. That being said, their is no "daddy OS". Maybe you didn't know this, but the iphone was announced and released in the same year that the first android beta was released. But hey don't let truth get in your way....in your next response let's try to properly use your words this time too...instead of deliberately making pretentious posts littered with inaccuracies and fallacies.

18. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

you guys aren't accomplishing anything over an internet forum. Just saying :p

19. Bobby Corwen, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You're not being objective. That's what my words are trying to communicate.

I cant believe i even have to argue this reality.

You android users create an effect I can only describe as a "twilight zone" of warped reality.

Any objective person knows iPhone development started in 04 and Google aquired Android after the iPhone already started developing.

More sadly, the early Android prototypes were pretty much Blackberry Curves with the same keyboard type and shape. Then they switched gears and turned it more and more like the iPhone.

But no, weere in the warped alternate universe of your biased minds so none of the facts matter, nor will they be considered and kept in context when you continue to insecurely try to prove youre not the underdog, and in fact, in your minds you've always been on top. In fact Nobody even likes Apple, they are the laughingstock of the world.

20. Themaeds macrumors regular

blah blah blah blah blah......My thoughts are that the iOS notification system was bad, and the Android notification system was/is very good. Apple saw that and molded theirs almost identical to Android's. Thats what happened, guy. As an Android and Apple fan I can honestly say there is 0 extra work needed to use this either.