Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Stupid quick question but I cant find it anywhere online and people are pretty quick to answer here, Does anyone know if when Android L comes out if the preview upgrades like it does on Mac?

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Stupid quick question but I cant find it anywhere online and people are pretty quick to answer here, Does anyone know if when Android L comes out if the preview upgrades like it does on Mac?

It won't be most likely.

Developer Michael Panzer saw this video over the weekend, shared it to his G+ timeline, and asked Hyndman if we could expect to see updates to the L preview at some point before the release is made stable to the public. Rich actually responded, noting that “They’ll be some extras coming, like the 64bit emulator. But I don’t believe new device images are coming.” He later continued on, saying that the Android L “preview release is primarily for developers to be able to test their apps and get them ready for the L launch.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I am more worried about it updating to the full release of L once it comes out. So the transition from Preview to Final release. I installed it on to my Nexus 7 and don't have really an compatibility issues so I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it can OTA upgrade to full final.
I think only Google has the answer to this.

This is always the safe answer to updating a Nexus device though; Download the factory image from the Google website here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and load it yourself with a fresh install, vice trying to keep your data from the L preview via an OTA update. Just move all your data to a PC, do the update, then move it back.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I think only Google has the answer to this.

This is always the safe answer to updating a Nexus device though; Download the factory image from the Google website here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images and load it yourself with a fresh install, vice trying to keep your data from the L preview via an OTA update. Just move all your data to a PC, do the update, then move it back.
Thank you, I guess your right though it is always better to do the fresh install over an update. I was just wondering if they had the option, the N7 being my first and only venture into Android puts me a little behind the learning curve hah.
Thank you for the information though.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The thing to consider is that the L preview is a DEVELOPER PREVIEW. It is not intended for a "production" or daily use device, it is merely for developers to use to work on making apps compatible with the upcoming OS. Part of the intent of the developer preview is that the device will get re-flashed for any updates to the preview, or when the final OS is released, they usually won't make any accommodations for keeping data as the belief would be that the person using the image would have a backup of the info on the device, or no info at all.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I understand the concept of the developer preview hence why I don't keep any data on my N7 that I don't have else where so doing even the initial wipe is/was not a big deal. I think it was a legitimate question since apple in both Mac and iOS have the option when the final release comes out to update to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.