Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-08-02.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-08-02.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-07-46.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-07-46.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-08-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-22-21-08-12.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 198

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Thanks, giving it a spin now.

Overall you don't really notice a difference until you click on an app. Once you do though, the new material design is sleek. I still think it wastes extra space but as far as eye candy goes, no complaints. Except for the badges, their cringed worthy and need to be cleaned up. Also a bit of lag while scrolling hopefully that gets ironed out.

Last edited:

digi999

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2014
Looks like Google should have spent a little less trying to get people to buy cars and glasses and spent a little more to hire a design team that actually has talent.

Yikes, that is ugly!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have it on my Nexus. I am running Android L as my daily. I love the new Google Play Store. It looks awesome on my device.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
It isn't true Material Design principles, but the influence is there. One of the biggest parts of Material Design will actually be the new animations.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like Google should have spent a little less trying to get people to buy cars and glasses and spent a little more to hire a design team that actually has talent.

Yikes, that is ugly!

Google isnt selling any cars and have had self driving cars for a while now. Thats how they get the street view pics.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Google isnt selling any cars and have had self driving cars for a while now. Thats how they get the street view pics.

Where did you hear that? I've seen other people make the same claim but no one says where they got the info from. I can't find anything confirming it with a Google search. I know the self-driving cars can only be operated in a few states, and I can't find any pictures of self-driving cars with cameras atop them.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Where did you hear that? I've seen other people make the same claim but no one says where they got the info from. I can't find anything confirming it with a Google search. I know the self-driving cars can only be operated in a few states, and I can't find any pictures of self-driving cars with cameras atop them.

Its been all over the internet. I saw one here in Vegas a few months ago. It was a Prius. There is a person in the car but it is driving itself. They have cameras mounted on top and they drive around taking pics of all the streets they go on. Last i saw months ago they had logged over 500,000 miles with no incidents.

Here is a pic for ya. Took me 30 seconds
BN-DT989_LIDAR0_G_20140721154556.jpg

HERE is a newer article(w/ a pic and you can see it says "self driving car" on the bumper) but writeups i saw about it i were from last year.

HERE is another more detailed article.

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Its been all over the internet. I saw one here in Vegas. It was a Prius. There is a person in the car but it is driving itself. They have cameras mounted on top and they drive around taking pics of all the streets they go on. Last i saw months ago they had logged over 500,000 miles with no incidents.

Here is a pic for ya. Took me 30 seconds Image

HERE is a newer article but ones i saw were from last year.

That is just an article about the self-driving cars, which I've seen before. Those cars aren't taking pictures of the street, and that article doesn't say that they are. The Street View cars are marked Street View and have a large array of cameras on top.

Street-View-vehicle-Google.jpg

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That is just an article about the self-driving cars, which I've seen before. Those cars aren't taking pictures of the street, and that article doesn't say that they are. The Street View cars are marked Street View and have a large array of cameras on top.

Street-View-vehicle-Google.jpg

Yeah...that like what i saw here. The camera was taller and had lenses all around it

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
You must not have looked very hard. Found these in a few minutes and there are more.

HERE is a newer article(w/ a pic and you can see it says "self driving car" on the bumper) but writeups i saw about it i were from last year.

HERE is another more detailed article.

I'm aware of the self-driving cars. What I'm talking about is the claim that they're taking pictures for Street View, which as far as I can tell isn't true. I was just curious because I saw someone else make the same claim.

The self-driving cars and Street View cars are two different things.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm aware of the self-driving cars. What I'm talking about is the claim that they're taking pictures for Street View, which as far as I can tell isn't true. I was just curious because I saw someone else make the same claim.

The self-driving cars and Street View cars are two different things.

Its true. There are many articles if you look. I havent clicked any of these links that i just found, but apparently you can find out where the Google street view cars are at from this article.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2011/03/find_out_where_the_street_view_cars.html

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No, they are not saying that Street View cars are self driving.

Why don't you admit that you confused self driving cars with google street view cars?

OK, fine. Maybe i am. I know they have logged over 700,000 miles with driverless cars. Whether they are street view or not....who cares. Im just looking forward to owning one some day.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
OK, fine. Maybe i am. I know they have logged over 700,000 miles with driverless cars. Whether they are street view or not....who cares. Im just looking forward to owning one some day.

Driverless cars (those without a driver in the drivers seat with the ability to take control) are illegal in the roads still. Only place they have been allowed are on closed to public traffic areas. California has a proposition on the ballot to allow driverless cars on the road, but the NTSB still has to review any legislation. Gonna be years before driverless cars are actually allowed on public roads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.