Android Material Design vs iOS - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by hulk2012, Nov 17, 2014.

1. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

What you think of Android me material design? It's it gimmick compared to stable iOS or a innovative breakthrough?

2. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I think both companies are enamored with Windows Phone OS and are converging toward eventually being identical.

3. okrelax macrumors member

it's nice at first, because it's a new visual design. anything new is interesting when it looks appealing. the animations got super annoying after a while. I prefer jail broken iOS with faster animation

4. the caveman macrumors 6502

Better question here is, what do you think OP?

5. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Changing the UI is not an "innovative" breakthrough. You can't use the word "innovative" to describe EVERYTHING.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Visually I find it a huge improvement over the Holo theme we've had for years now. I personally like more use of white but that's all preference of course. I do find it a bit ironic that one of the common criticisms of iOS 7 when it was first released was regarding the prolonged animations, something I think Lollipop now suffers from. I don't mind them too much but I do hope Google tightens them up a bit with future releases--seem a little overdone.

7. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Good thing is, you can speed up or disable them...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What are your thoughts ?

Why demand/ask other people without proffering your own ?

----------

Exactly. It's highly rude to create threads like this without at least contributing your own standpoint / opinion in the opening thread.

9. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

So far, I haven't heard of any third party keyboard issues with Lollipop. I'm having third party keyboard issues with iOS that makes it third party keyboard unusable for me. It's been months and even after a number of iOS updates, the landscape issue hasn't been completely resolved yet. I would not consider iOS to be stable at this point.

10. SolarShane macrumors 6502

iOS 8 was stable? You call the bug riddled iOS 8 (HealthKit) and 8.0.1 (Cellular connection, Touch ID, etc) "stable"? Wow.

LOL.

A "me too" OS is an innovative breakthrough?

LMAO!

11. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

My biggest gripe with iOS at the moment.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...pop-and-the-problem-with-big-android-tablets/

That is all. Unless you think Arstechnica is a biased source.

----------

Healthkit is ONE feature. Also, the bug was found last minute AND was missed by all the external developers that were supposed to be bug testing as well as internal Apple engineers. So it's not like Apple didn't do enough to bug test.

The botched 8.0.1 update affected less than 0.5% of all iOS 8 users. You can't make every single device work all the time every time. That's just impossible.

13. SolarShane macrumors 6502

Yet it puts a ding that iOS 8 was "stable".

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

A ding yes. Anything more? No.

15. khha4113 macrumors regular

khha4113

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You read that wrong. He's asking if Lollipop is a gimmick or if it's an innovative break through.

17. SolarShane macrumors 6502

Then why did he say "is it gimmick compared to stable iOS or a innovative breakthrough?"

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Maybe I read your comment wrong. I thought when you said:

You were talking about iOS, while in the OP was talking about android when he used that term. Sorry.