Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Today, I decided to try Google's new feature of allowing Android Messages to work in-browser on my Powerbook. I didn't have high hopes because of Google's track record of not having many web apps on the "light" side.

I'm happy to report that it works flawlessly! In TFF, its a little on the sluggish side, but not unbearable. The text-editor works probably about on par with the editor here on MacRumors. I haven't yet tried tweaking it with uMatrix since, (once again) knowing Google, there's not much that can be disabled without breaking the page, but there may be gains that could be made there.

Even better though, is that in Leopard Webkit, it works downright smoothly! Opening the emoji or GIF menus causes it to slow down some for me, but not unusably so, and using plain text shows no lag whatsoever.

I'm thrilled to have a way to message from my PPC that isn't stripped down in functionality (like iChat), or unbearably slow (like Facebook Messenger). So, if you're an Android user, and aren't using this feature yet, check it out. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
And your Android device needs to be running at least Lollipop - which my ancient 2014 Sony model isn't ;)
Have you looked at custom ROMs? Not sure what model you have obviously, but LineageOS (formerly Cyanogenmod) is a very "stock" Android experience and is compatible with tons of devices. I used a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from 2012 as recently as last year using Cyanogenmod.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I gave up all that years ago :) I'm afraid I was a slave to buying the latest and greatest but lost interest in phones when they all pretty much did the same stuff - the iPhone killed it for me ;)
The last ROM 'transplant' I did was for a Nokia N95 I think....

I definitely understand the frustration with chasing the "latest". I've never been one to chase the latest, but I see using a custom ROM as similar to what we do around here with PPC, extending hardware I already own to do something that the manufacturer never intended; as the community providing support when the company that produced it would prefer we just bought something new.
These days, flashing a custom ROM is pretty trivial for most mainstream devices, but even still, I don't do it until apps I want to use no longer support the OS I'm on. My current device is still running its stock version of Android Marshmallow, because its compatible with everything I want to use on it.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've never been one to chase the latest, but I see using a custom ROM as similar to what we do around here with PPC

I agree but this phone is on it's last legs anyway. Furthermore, I bought a Windows 10 phone to replace it last year (bizarrely, Windows Phone is my favourite phone OS) and I still haven't got round to porting my number/moving data over to it!

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I agree but this phone is on it's last legs anyway. Furthermore, I bought a Windows 10 phone to replace it last year (bizarrely, Windows Phone is my favourite phone OS) and I still haven't got round to porting my number/moving data over to it!

Ahh, the downside of getting a new device. We spend years setting everything up just how we like it, then have to (basically) start all over.
You're only the second person I know to say that Windows Phone is their fav. My best friend had to switch to iPhone from Windows Phone a little over a year ago because of his workplace being iPhone-dominant, and him not having cell reception at his house. Switching to iPhone allowed him to use iMessage on Wifi was what led him to switch.

Reactions: AphoticD

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
You're only the second person I know to say that Windows Phone is their fav.

Well, my opinion was based more on the Windows Phone 7 Nokia 800 I had some years ago. A beautiful and robust phone and what I liked about the OS was everything I needed was quickly accessible and it didn't feel like a compressed desktop environment.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Well, my opinion was based more on the Windows Phone 7 Nokia 800 I had some years ago. A beautiful and robust phone and what I liked about the OS was everything I needed was quickly accessible and it didn't feel like a compressed desktop environment.
Interesting! You're officially the only person I know who used Windows Phone 7. :D My buddy's first Windows Phone experience was with 8. In general though, I've never heard anyone say they didn't like Windows Phone for any reason about the OS. In fact, I hear many people talk about how much they like the interface and the speed, but most that I know simply complain about the lack of popular apps.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
In fact, I hear many people talk about how much they like the interface and the speed, but most that I know simply complain about the lack of popular apps.

Yes, it's a dead platform now and never got any traction in app development - I think the Windows reputation killed it, although the few people I've recommended it to were pleasantly surprised and stuck with it.
I used to use Windows Mobile back in the day of PDA phones and Symbian on Nokia - that was a great Mobile OS - Apple came along and stole all the thunder though.

Reactions: AL1630

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
You're only the second person I know to say that Windows Phone is their fav.
Let me be the third ;)
I absolutely love Windows Phone 8.1, IMO it is the most intuitive and best to use single-handed mobile OS. Design wise it isn't as good looking as iOS, but i like the big buttons and the 3 dots in the lower right corner.
Windows 10 Mobile is not as good because it removed the bottom menu and introduced a top left corner hamburger menu - as if everybody was a long fingered lefty... stupid decision IMO

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Let me be the third ;)
I absolutely love Windows Phone 8.1, IMO it is the most intuitive and best to use single-handed mobile OS.

I used a Nokia Lumia 1520 with WP8.1 as a tablet a couple of years ago. Lovely device and I agree with you on your opinion about the OS. Have to say though, single-handed use is tough on the 1520's 6in screen :D W10M introduced the ability to shrink the UI elements, which on the 1520 enabled a tablet-like UI instead of the phone-centric one if you went to the lowest DPI setting. That alone made W10M worth it to me.

Reactions: amagichnich
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.