Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You know you can turn it off if you don't like it. I really like it as it makes using the phone much faster where it is supported; especially for peek and pop which I use frequently.

Different strokes for different folks, glad I don't have to remember yet another screen gesture that does yet one more counter intuitive action.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You know you can turn it off if you don't like it. I really like it as it makes using the phone much faster where it is supported; especially for peek and pop which I use frequently.

Different strokes for different folks, glad I don't have to remember yet another screen gesture that does yet one more counter intuitive action.
Isn't that what 3DT is....another screen gesture to remember...then it might work and then it might not work...... isn't that more counter intuitive by definition....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Isn't that what 3DT is....another screen gesture to remember...then it might work and then it might not work...... isn't that more counter intuitive by definition....
Swiping to get a right-click is far more counter intuitive than a simple press. At least, that is my opinion.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I think if 3D Touch was implemented by someone other than Apple -- say Samsung -- you'd hear him argue a very different tune. Just a wild theory.

Reactions: McCool71

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Swiping to get a right-click is far more counter intuitive than a simple press. At least, that is my opinion.

Except it's not a simple press. That's part of Jamezr's point.
[doublepost=1461004783][/doublepost]
There are things that can be turned off and things that can't. Glad you got that.:rolleyes:

Uhm, you're kidding right? The point is, extra features are optional. Like the time we discussed wireless charging. Look, it's even easier; nothing to actually turn off. You just keep using the plug as you normally would. Yet that was a hard concept to sell to you.

But 3D Touch, from Apple... of course you're understanding.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Remember that fragmentation word? When it comes to UI either go all in or all out to make for a consistent experience otherwise it's just fragmentation. It's rather useless anyway so the money is better spent on something like better display, camera, pen addition, etc.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think if 3D Touch was implemented by someone other than Apple -- say Samsung -- you'd hear him argue a very different tune. Just a wild theory.
I agree.....and everyone reading this....
[doublepost=1461006125][/doublepost]
But it is not a simple press......a simple press and all the icons start to shake waiting to be moved or deleted.
So now it is a multi functional press. But a swipe is still a swipe. pretty simple really

Reactions: epicrayban

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree.....and everyone reading this....
[doublepost=1461006125][/doublepost]
But it is not a simple press......a simple press and all the icons start to shake waiting to be moved or deleted.
So now it is a multi functional press. But a swipe is still a swipe. pretty simple really
I don't know, after the first two minutes I have NEVER had the icons move when I wanted 3Dt vs delete/move app. As I forgot to add peek n pop works great as well as task switcher.

As far as the opinion above. Meh.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What do you use 3d touch/long press for?

I don't know if this is an open question, but I figured I'd answer anyway. For me, I use it to preview links in Safari. I get a good feel by the first post if I even want to respond to a thread. Also, sometimes for app switcher. Used to be for cursor movement, but now I use a third party keyboard.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Amazing you grasp this concept. Because we've tried explaining this to you in the past when discussing new features we wanted to see in iOS that you didn't care for.

I can't believe I just read that! I want to put that quote in my signature :p

options dilute the experience and alienate the existing userbase man!

I hardly ever use 3d touch, I like the multitasking 3dtouch feature very much, but since it is on the left side I cant do it comfortably when holding the device with my right hand (I am right handed) would love the option to swap it to the right side

I would pick notification light over 3d touch in the current state of things :p

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't know, after the first two minutes I have NEVER had the icons move when I wanted 3Dt vs delete/move app. As I forgot to add peek n pop works great as well as task switcher.

As far as the opinion above. Meh.
so your changing your opinion now? 3DT was simple and swipe was more complex. Now it is just "meh". got it........nice backtrack...... Fact is 3DT is more complex and less intuitive. We use swipe to navigate now between screens and in apps all the time. It very intuitive and almost just second nature. swipe is a gesture that is used across Apple devices from iPad to track pad motions and gestures on MBPs. 3DT adds a level of complexity....too hard a press and it brings up deleting or moving apps. The hard press is mufti functional...not intuitive. Then 3DT doesn't always work.
Then it does work it doesn't always provide useful information. It just adds a level of complexity.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
so your changing your opinion now? 3DT was simple and swipe was more complex. Now it is just "meh". got it........nice backtrack...... Fact is 3DT is more complex and less intuitive. We use swipe to navigate now between screens and in apps all the time. It very intuitive and almost just second nature. swipe is a gesture that is used across Apple devices from iPad to track pad motions and gestures on MBPs. 3DT adds a level of complexity....too hard a press and it brings up deleting or moving apps. The hard press is mufti functional...not intuitive. Then 3DT doesn't always work.
Then it does work it doesn't always provide useful information. It just adds a level of complexity.
No sir, Meh to your comment about "everybody reading this". Not a back track, you just missed the point.

I suppose swiping in Windows with a mouse to get the right click is intuitive also?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
No sir, Meh to your comment about "everybody reading this". Not a back track, you just missed the point.

I suppose swiping in Windows with a mouse to get the right click is intuitive also?
Well make the point then so it won't be missed.
As far as the bolded......that has NOTHING to do with our discussion. Now your trying to muddy the water with a useless example.....smh

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well make the point then so it won't be missed.
As far as the bolded......that has NOTHING to do with our discussion. Now your trying to muddy the water with a useless example.....smh
Nope, it's an example. Right click swipe is not intuitive as much as press. Disagree or not that is my opinion.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I don't know if this is an open question, but I figured I'd answer anyway. For me, I use it to preview links in Safari. I get a good feel by the first post if I even want to respond to a thread. Also, sometimes for app switcher. Used to be for cursor movement, but now I use a third party keyboard.

So it's only partially a right click to bring up a contextual menu.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
When i first saw 3DTouch i was "Oh, did Apple just show 'Air view' made by Samsung or what just happened?"

However... Im quite sure if Google is implementing this Samsung innovation, they will do it much better than Apple did. I rarely use 3DTouch feature because there isnt anything useful to do with it.
I openly embraced 3DTouch initially hoping to find it useful. After a few weeks it became apparent that it's currently nothing more than an oddity. If not for Apple's closed minded walled off stance, it could be so much more useful.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I openly embraced 3DTouch initially hoping to find it useful. After a few weeks it became apparent that it's currently nothing more than an oddity. If not for Apple's closed minded walled off stance, it could be so much more useful.

On point. Even when Apple introduces and/or copies the things that we enjoy from the competition, they very often stifle it by not allowing it to be customized and realized to its potential.

I have to say again because people seem to think customization is either a) not a big deal, or b) only for aesthetics.

Customization is super useful. Especially when it's for a piece of technology that is used every single day by millions of different people with different needs.

Apple needs to fully realize this.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
An enhanced right click, if you want to word it like that. I've never had the ability to see what a tab will look like using any right click on anything else I've known. ;)

Having previews, I think, is a great use of 3D Touch.

On Action Now (I believe it's called) launcher for Android, you can swipe up on an app icon on your home screen, and it'll throw up a preview of the app. Very intuitive.

Is something like that coming to Android N?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.