Mobile OSs Android Nougat Released!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Roadstar, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

2. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

Yep, I keep checking for updates on my Nexus 6 (latest N preview). Do you know if these devices will get the OTA to the final build from the developer previews?

3. Roadstar thread starter macrumors 65816

Roadstar

I can't say for sure, but I'd be quite surprised if there weren't any OTA route to the final bits.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

They will...I just hit 'Check for Update' on my 6P running the dev preview and much to my surprise, the update was there. :D

I say I'm surprised because every time a major update has been rolled out to Nexus devices over the past few years, I always seem to be on the back end of these staged rollouts.

5. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Seems like this release is missing key features that have been expected for the final release. This almost feels Android 6.9. Certain things aren't in this release, like Allo, etc...

Also, is the first time a brand new big Android OS release comes out before the actual new Nexus devices ? I expected final 7.0 to come out with the new HTC phones.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'm sure they're hold off to time those feature releases with the new Nexus phones.

And is Allo even tied to the base OS? My guess is that it'll work just like Duo, as an independent app that is managed through the Play Store and/or Play Services. I hope the update for Google Assistant is the same, else it's gong to available on very few devices for the next year.

7. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Yeah it kinda feels like the cart has been put before the horse so to speak? I expected a new Nexus phone to be released with Nougat before the actual OS was released.

8. Roadstar thread starter macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Allo and Duo are independent apps. As they are available also on iOS, it wouldn't make much sense to tie their Android versions to a specific OS release. In addition, considering how slow the new OS rollout is on Android in general, they'd make Allo and Duo a huge disservice by limiting them to an OS release most customers won't be getting before they buy a newer phone.

9. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

10. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

sweet! looks like it's hitting the 6p and 5x first, then others later on... come on N6 rollout!

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/android-7-0-nougat-update-download-beta/

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Ahh, now the wait starts. ETA in 8-9 months for my Note 7, sigh.

12. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I think Nougat will be on the N7 by years end......

13. cube macrumors G5

I am still waiting for M for my Tab Pro and Note 3.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Maybe on the international unlocked version. I can't see it coming for US carriers any earlier than Feb 2017, but probably more likely May/June 2017. But hey I'd LOVE to be wrong. Crossing my fingers in any case.

15. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'll take that bet. ;)

17. Roadstar thread starter macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Screenshot_20160823-010110.png

Seems like I skipped the queue :D Enrolled to the beta, got the update immediately and after the installation unenrolled, but as it was a stable release I was running, all my data remained intact.

18. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Just keep an eye on OTA Images for Nexus Devices | Nexus Files for Developers | Google Developers and follow the directions to the letter once the OTA is posted (usually within a couple days).

19. Roadstar thread starter macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Yep, that's one option, but as I was travelling with a computer that didn't have Android developer tools installed, I took the beta program route as explained in my previous post.

20. iOzzie macrumors regular

Yeah I was also in the beta and got it this morning on my Nexus 9.

Double tap MultiTask to change to last app is great, works really well!

21. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Sounds like an awesome idea, thanks for sharing. Do you know if there are any Android 7 N ROMS yet?

22. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

**watches from afar**

**doubts my Samsung S6 edge will ever get it**

23. Tuchman Suspended

The only Nougat i will see will be chocolate coated.

24. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Lol.....yeah I know it goes against past behavior. But they have said it will be a couple of months for Nougat to come the the N7.....hey a fella can dream right? :)

25. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

My 6p got 7.0 last night, So far only two apps crash, Samsung S health and DirecTV. Doze is working much better.