Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I can't wait to try out the next beta preview....
I have a feeling my husband will be taking an interest in my HTC 10 after all...assuming he can get any time to work with it.
[doublepost=1491394257][/doublepost]
I don't see nothing exciting aside from picture in picture.

It's been a while for me since I got excited for an Android update.
Well it's not exciting in the sense that it's adding something sexy never before seen in an operating system like sharks with lasers, but it is addressing longstanding aggravations that perplex novice users like myself who don't understand right off the bat why suddenly several apps started doing something in the background that drained the battery. Android loses people to stuff like that. We go running back to Mama Apple. Which is sad. People need choices. Good choices.

And on the developer side, well, I obviously am not qualified to speak to that, but I think they're going to be happy for anything that makes developing for Android easier.

These are substantial long awaited under the hood improvements.

I just hope that Samsung, LG and other companies who have written their own features that are now paralleled by Android will graciously integrate and remove any clashes with pure Android, and not stubbornly maintain their own solutions.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have a feeling my husband will be taking an interest in my HTC 10 after all...assuming he can get any time to work with it.
[doublepost=1491394257][/doublepost]
Well it's not exciting in the sense that it's adding something sexy never before seen in an operating system like sharks with lasers, but it is addressing longstanding aggravations that perplex novice users like myself who don't understand right off the bat why suddenly several apps started doing something in the background that drained the battery. Android loses people to stuff like that. We go running back to Mama Apple. Which is sad. People need choices. Good choices.

And on the developer side, well, I obviously am not qualified to speak to that, but I think they're going to be happy for anything that makes developing for Android easier.

These are substantial long awaited under the hood improvements.

I just hope that Samsung, LG and other companies who have written their own features that are now paralleled by Android will graciously integrate and remove any clashes with pure Android, and not stubbornly maintain their own solutions.

I'm excited for quite a few of the changes. Any additional granular control of notifications is always welcome. And unless you're a power user with very specific needs for your background functionality, I think most users won't see any adverse effects from imposing limits on background processes but will absolutely appreciate any battery savings benefits that result.

I've already mentioned that I'm very much looking forward to the changes the auto fill APIs will afford to password managers and if wifi aware mimics Apple's AirDrop for Android users, that'll be great. Picture in Picture is a nice-to-have and everything else is just gravy, IMO. I think there is plenty to look forward to.

Now if Apple can get their **** together and implement some of the best of Android (I'll take setting default apps and greater home screen flexibility to start please), it'll be a great year for OS updates.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I installed the public beta on my Nexus 6P and one feature I cannot seem to get working is notification badges on home screen app icons. This feature is on by default--every app I've whose notification settings I've checked already has it enable--yet I'm not getting either the badge or the list on recent notifications on a long press of the icon.

I'm not running anything special...just the default launcher. Anyone else have any experience with this?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I installed the public beta on my Nexus 6P and one feature I cannot seem to get working is notification badges on home screen app icons. This feature is on by default--every app I've whose notification settings I've checked already has it enable--yet I'm not getting either the badge or the list on recent notifications on a long press of the icon.

I'm not running anything special...just the default launcher. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Seems like an odd addition to Android. I would think the last thing this OS needs is another means of notification.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Seems like an odd addition to Android. I would think the last thing this OS needs is another means of notification.

I actually think it's pretty cool. It's pretty damn easy to have a lengthy list of notifications--being able to directly see that I have notifications for a particular app, i.e. gmail and access to them directly with a long press on that icon, seems more efficient than having to scroll through a list in the notification panel.

At least, the potential seems great--just can't try it yet since they're not working. ;)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I actually think it's pretty cool. It's pretty damn easy to have a lengthy list of notifications--being able to directly see that I have notifications for a particular app, i.e. gmail and access to them directly with a long press on that icon, seems more efficient than having to scroll through a list in the notification panel.

At least, the potential seems great--just can't try it yet since they're not working. ;)

I'd rather iOS adopt Android's notifications, especially the persistent icons vs Android seemingly adopting badges. Then again, Android being Android it's nice to have the choice.

cjlee

macrumors member
May 1, 2008

Seems to not be enabled on devices outside of the Pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.