Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
Pixel and iPhone 8 competitor for about half the price?

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

Moto X4 vs Pixel specs comparison
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X4,Google-Pixel/phones/10479,10264

- Starting $399 (less with trade-in)
- Pure android
- Attractive design and high build quality
- Snapdragon 630 14nm
- 3GB DRAM
- 5.2" 1080p IPS LCD
- Dual camera 1.4um 12MP f/2.0 + 8MP f/2.2 with selective focus and black&white
- 16MP selfie camera with flash
- front fingerprint sensor
- IP68
- 3000mAh battery
- micro SD slot
- headphone jack
motox4.png

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
The only thing I dont like is that it is 5.2 and then of course with these cheaper phones you can get a used flagship for close to retail of one of these

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don’t mind the way it looks. It’s not fancy like an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, but for the price I’d be willing to entertain the idea of buying it.

I’m still up in the air on what to buy. Still leaning on the new Pixel but keeping my options open and this along with an S8 are possibilities so far.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don’t mind the way it looks. It’s not fancy like an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy, but for the price I’d be willing to entertain the idea of buying it.

I’m still up in the air on what to buy. Still leaning on the new Pixel but keeping my options open and this along with an S8 are possibilities so far.
Why aren't you considering iPhone x?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014

I don't know see how anyone can say it's ugly compared to the Pixel and iPhone 8. All three share the same bezel heavy front. As far as the back, the Pixel is the less attractive of the three with the two shades of materials and colors. The only thing different about the Moto X4 is the camera housing. Personally, it reminds me of an owl...

owl-photography-2__880.jpg

...but who cares if it turns out to take good pictures and videos. It's got a 1.4um pixel size sensor which sits between the Pixel's 1.55um and iPhone 8's 1.22um so it has potential to be competitive. Phones like the Android One Moto X4 seem like a good fit for people new to Android and wanting to test the water but not yet ready for the huge investment in a Galaxy Note 8, Pixel 2, LG V30, etc.

Have you considered getting review units and experiment with doing reviews in this subsection? It would benefit your readership who happen to be in the same predicament as you coming from iOS and wanting to test Android but confused by so many options.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know see how anyone can say it's ugly compared to the Pixel and iPhone 8. All three share the same bezel heavy front. As far as the back, the Pixel is the less attractive of the three with the two shades of materials and colors. The only thing different about the Moto X4 is the camera housing. Personally, it reminds me of an owl...

...but who cares if it turns out to take good pictures and videos. It's got a 1.4um pixel size sensor which sits between the Pixel's 1.55um and iPhone 8's 1.22um so it has potential to be competitive. Phones like the Android One Moto X4 seem like a good fit for people new to Android and wanting to test the water but not yet ready for the huge investment in a Galaxy Note 8, Pixel 2, LG V30, etc.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some will like it, others will not.

For me, I'm not big on having a flashy, fancy phone to show off. If I like the way something looks, who it's made by or what it is is irrelevant to me. My iPhones are always covered up by a plain black leather case. Being able to see how nice it is is impossible.

Have you considered getting review units and experiment with doing reviews in this subsection? It would benefit your readership who happen to be in the same predicament as you coming from iOS and wanting to test Android but confused by so many options.
You may have me confused with a MacRumors writer/editor. I am only a forum moderator and I have nothing to do with the articles, reviews or anything else the front page of the site does. I also do not have access to that side of the behind the scenes here either.

With that said your idea is a good one and you can submit it to the editors at tips@macrumors.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.