Android One seems to be a flop in India

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by minimo3, Nov 21, 2014.

1. minimo3 macrumors 6502

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...challenge-for-google/articleshow/45128558.cms

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-emerging-markets-phone-gets-hung-up-in-india-as-retailers-cry-foul/

Total Micromax, Karbonn, and Spice handset imports fell from 230,000 units in Sep when it launched to to 200,000 in Oct. That's barely 2.5% of total handset imports into India. The hottest phone in the sub 7,000 rupee budget segment is the Xiaomi Redmi 1s which has much better specs than any of the Android one contenders. Average users don't care about the getting a pure Android experience, they only care about value and experience. Now with brick and mortar stores refusing to sell Android One handsets they will probably remain as niche as Nexus devices.

2. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I guess it's because people want better specs and for a little more they can get older flagships.

3. Savor Suspended

Savor

It probably has to do also with the local brand stigma when it comes to poor quality.

I'm in the US right now, but read Android One is arriving to the Philippines with the Cherry Mobile One and MyPhone Uno. I trust the latter more but the former looks better and more internal storage even if Cherry Mobile is similar to Karbonn. Still, I can't trust either all that much for under 5k (under $115).

I am excited it is expanding to my country and we can finally own a MediaTek powered phone that can now be updated up to two years. Lollipop goodness cheaper than a Nexus! Still, I will hold out until a company like Xiaomi and Asus can offer me a better Android One device. They seem more reputable. Xiaomi can offer better specs and Asus nailed it with the Zen UI.