Android Open ADK Equivalent?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by medelman, Jun 7, 2011.

1. medelman macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to do something in the iOS/Mac environment similar to what Google has created with their Android Open Accessories development Kit concept? I have some ideas for software to hardware interfacing, but it seems like Apple's hardware development program is way out of mine and most other hobbyists reach. Bluetooth also seems to be locked down in turns of functionality available.

I don't have much experience with web development (I'm an E.E.), but in a simple example is it possible to turn something like a relay on/off via a wireless transmission from the phone to a micro controller using a web or other standard protocol (HTTP)?

iOS device <-> wireless network <-> custom made interface hardware with I/O <-> relay

Something that would be allowed in an app store, but obviously would require a third party hardware device to transfer the commands via wireless to what you are interested in controlling?

Would appreciate your input.

Matt

2. iamamused macrumors newbie

It's not quite the same but you could try ciaoapp.com. It lets you control an Arduino and might be a starting point.